Who has NOT had an interview?

chemteacher101

Who has NOT had an interview?

Post by chemteacher101 »

Feeling a bit lonely here... am I the only one who has not yet had a single interview?

Just wondering...
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

same here chemteacher, but won't start worrying until April or so…have been through the recruitment journey twice now. First time, had job by January, second time, didn't get a position until April. From what I gather, schools are still waiting for resignations/renewals, so jobs not being posted for many schools. Here's hoping we both get interview offers before the end of term!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Nothing...not even a nibble from the emails and resumes I've sent...but I'm new to all of this...and el ed...not going to think too much about it until after the job fair.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

I've only had a screening interview with a smaller school, but not even a nibble otherwise.. elementary teaching couple with 2 years international and 2 years American public experience. Thought we'd have heard back from more schools by now. Have applied to 20 or so so far..
indogal

Post by indogal »

Yesterday my answer would have been "Me too"

Until this morning, when I opened up my email and saw an email requesting an interview from a school that I had sent my CV to a month ago & had completely given up hope on. So, I guess you never know.
litgal

Post by litgal »

I am a first timer and had one interview/chat/screening interview.. not exactly sure what to call it. It was with the school founder/director and there was mention of speaking again before the fair. We'll see....

I have also sent at least 20 email letters of interest and I am registered with Search. Only got a response from a couple of them.

It is nerve wracking isn't it!! Especially being a newbie and not knowing what is typical
senator

Post by senator »

8 years' American public schools teaching math and another 8 years (China and Malaysia) teaching IB DP HL and SL math, MYP math, and TOK.

Just received 4 or 5 generic "we've received your application and if anything opens up..."

Like I always say, for most of us, it's all just luck, nothing more or less.

You can't let it get to you. And for God sake, DON'T feel so depressed that you take any lousy job just because it is offered to you.

Stop worrying and remember that if the worst happens and you get nothing, you still are more fortunate than 90% of the rest of the people on this planet.
cdn

Post by cdn »

[quote="Bellarex"]I've only had a screening interview with a smaller school, but not even a nibble otherwise.. elementary teaching couple with 2 years international and 2 years American public experience. Thought we'd have heard back from more schools by now. Have applied to 20 or so so far..[/quote]

My wife and I were in a similar boat last year. We applied and applied and applied, but only had one real bite. We went to the London fair, and that all changed. My suggestion is to get to a fair (that SA one was great). The school we are at now is a dream. Funny enough, though, we applied to them prior to the fair and didn't hear boo.
senator

Post by senator »

Everyone just keep in mind that this whole system is built to favor the schools, not the teachers. If you are insecure you might actually start to doubt your abilities and feel that the reason you have not gotten an interview is that you "don't have what it takes.
Too many international schools are nothing but ways for rich nationals to make money, read LAUNDER MONEY and education and things like hiring the best possible teachers takes a backseat to raking in the cash.
All we can do is send out the resumes and go to the fair and if we don't get any offers, well, it's their loss and wait until next year when the alignment might be shifted in our favor.
Lighten up and don't let it ruin your Holidays!
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

"Nothing...not even a nibble from the emails and resumes I've sent...but I'm new to all of this...and el ed...not going to think too much about it until after the job fair."

Newchapter,

My husband is totally new to this as well...what do you mean by "not even a nibble"? I know this seems like a silly question, but are emails that say "Thanks, not hiring right now, but we will keep you on file etc..." "nibbles"? We have gotten a few of those and a couple that asked about him being interested in a certain position (other than the one he applied for).
We were just wondering if those were good signs (we so need some hope :) ) or the norm?
One school was so nice and sent a personal email saying that they can't consider him yet, because he has not graduated yet, but they would love for him to keep them in mind and re-apply next year etc...it was very nice and encouraging.

Wishing you much luck in your search!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Hi, Justbean.

I guess I should rephrase...I have had a few emails that said they received mine. They didn't say no, but didn't really say anything. I tend to be pretty positive and think I have a good chance so I'm just sending out emails and waiting for the job fair. I feel that the right school and I will find each other.

Oh...I did just have a Skype interview with a school in the ME. It went well but I'm just not sure.

Good luck to you! It will all work out.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Hi, Justbean.

I guess I should rephrase...I have had a few emails that said they received mine. They didn't say no, but didn't really say anything. I tend to be pretty positive and think I have a good chance so I'm just sending out emails and waiting for the job fair. I feel that the right school and I will find each other.

Oh...I did just have a Skype interview with a school in the ME. It went well but I'm just not sure.

Good luck to you! It will all work out.
JustBean

Post by JustBean »

Newchapter,

That's exciting! Good luck! :)

We're up and down with the positive lately ;)
Fingers (and toes) still crossed though!
tangchao

Post by tangchao »

This is my fourth recruitment season in the IS scene. This year I haven't sent out a single email. I am just turning up directly at the Bangkok fair and getting in the right people's faces.
zanyplum

Post by zanyplum »

Honestly, I kind of think you have the right idea. So many emails and applications I completed were for jobs that never materialized because they were tentative. It was sort of a waste of time and stress. I like your plan.