Who has NOT had an interview?

BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

I'm sure that London will be a great learning experience. I'm looking forward to meeting and connecting with more international teachers and admin. My lip is stiff, trust me. Not down about any of this at all.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@BlueJay
You said you accepted a better offer in a different part of the world. What happened?
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

@Fine Dude
Offer was to continue onto my PhD full time. Decided that it was not the right time for that. I'd miss too much of my children growing up over the next few years. So it's time to find a new job and teach.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

@BlueJay
I sent you a private message. Please check your inbox. Thank you.
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

I responded. Good luck!
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Thank you, BlueJay! All the best to you as well and wish you a very happy and successful 2014!
chipmunk84

Post by chipmunk84 »

none yet. I've applied to about 15 schools. I'm going to the search fair in London so hopefully I'll find out more there and maybe get something. I'm new to all this and don't have IB experience. I teach French. The good thing is I have a permanent contract at my current school in the UK but with Ofsted inspections every year so far I'm starting to get sick of it!
Anabel

Post by Anabel »

@ chipmunk84

Hi, I just sent you a PM

Ann
sitka

Post by sitka »

I've done several (doing a second round with department heads and so on right now). I have the feeling it is the lull before the storm though. Economics teacher, for what it is worth.

Cheers.
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

Finally had a couple of interviews. Heading to 2nd round next week with Head of School while he/she is in Bangkok. I also had a request to stop by a table at the London fair that I'm attending to schedule an interview if I'm interested.

Really does look like things are starting to thaw out there. Good luck to everyone. I hope that all recruiting land somewhere.
crunky

Post by crunky »

I'm also sleepless in Seattle. Or Jobless in Jobland. 6 years international experience and one of those mainstream English teachers. Am I doomed? :)
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Perhaps you need to examine your application package. I keep mine brief. As far as I'm concerned, if you have the qualifications they need, they can interview you to determine fit. If they have to decode your qualifications through some long winded letter and cluttered cv, do not expect any one to bother. The interview is the time to show you have done your research. Otherwise you will be spending hours of research on things that may not matter.

This also applies to schools which require a large application package. Target your response to what is relevant, and most aligned to a schools philosophy and you will be more successful.

I get personal responses from the head abou 40% of the time either for an interview or to tell me the position is filled or to ask for specific information.
At a fair, I get interviews for almost every school with a relevant position for me. In demand subject helps.

Then they find I'm not particularly charming......:P

I'm basing this on some of the job applications I have seen in the past. They're so bad, they are a joke. For those still in college, get advice from the career counselor on how to write your letters and format your cv. That was some of the most invaluable advice I got from my years in uni.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Perhaps you need to examine your application package. I keep mine brief. As far as I'm concerned, if you have the qualifications they need, they can interview you to determine fit. If they have to decode your qualifications through some long winded letter and cluttered cv, do not expect any one to bother. The interview is the time to show you have done your research. Otherwise you will be spending hours of research on things that may not matter.

This also applies to schools which require a large application package. Target your response to what is relevant, and most aligned to a schools philosophy and you will be more successful.

I get personal responses from the head abou 40% of the time either for an interview or to tell me the position is filled or to ask for specific information.
At a fair, I get interviews for almost every school with a relevant position for me. In demand subject helps.

Then they find I'm not particularly charming......:P

I'm basing this on some of the job applications I have seen in the past. They're so bad, they are a joke. For those still in college, get advice from the career counselor on how to write your letters and format your cv. That was some of the most invaluable advice I got from my years in uni.