Starting out in UK.

A Resilient Lion

Starting out in UK.

Post by A Resilient Lion »

Greetings :D

I've posted on here before but I'm seeking further clarification about what my options may be. I will keep this plain and basic so I can receive honest and basic feedback.

I'm Australian. 30 Y.O. Single. No major responsibilities. Recently obtained my Bach of Ed (Primary). No teaching experience (except for the professional experiences I did thru university). Planning on heading to UK soon on a Working Visa for two years to teach over there through a recruitment company. The beginning of my teaching career.

The working visa has a duration of two years. HOPEFULLY, in those two years I would have gained at least a solid year of teaching experience. Not much, but there's nothing I can do about that.

I don't want to return to Australia (personal reasons) but want to continue to teach primary in an international school somewhere. I would love to teach in the European region but I'm keeping my options open, so I'm prepared to go almost anywhere as long as the school brings the best out of me and the salary is comfortable enough to live on.

My questions:
What countries would be willing to hire a NQT with limited experience?
Would attending a job fair assist me with that limited experience?
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

Do you already have a job lined up in the UK? Competition is very high for primary jobs, it's not unheard of for a single job opening to have hundreds of applicants.
And it's not a question of which countries will accept NQTs, rather than which schools will. All countries have a range of schools, from "elite" schools to "third tier" schools. Obviously you'll have more chance of getting a position in the lower end schools with limited experience.
A Resilient Lion

Post by A Resilient Lion »

I don't have a job lined up, have just signed on with a recruitment agency that will look for work for me. Most probably just doing supply work but hopefully it will lead to something long term during the two years. If all goes to plan I'm hoping for at least a year and half of experience.

Rhysboy how would you go about finding out information and employment from these third tier schools?
Rhysboy

Post by Rhysboy »

I'm probably not the best person to ask about third tier schools, maybe someone else can help you there.
And be aware that supply teaching in the UK is not what it used to be. The UK is going through a period of reduced government spending to get the national debt under control and one area that has been hit is education. Schools these days are relying more and more on cover supervisors to cover classes; unqualified teachers who get paid much less than a qualified teacher.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Better off to apply for jobs at not-so-good schools in places like Kuwait, Qatar, or China, keep your head down, do your two years, and move on to a better place elsewhere...
Smurf

Post by Smurf »

If you are looking to complete your NQT year in the UK, you should be aware that only positions that last for the entire term (September to December, January to April, April to July) will count to your NQT qualification, and that is only if the school you are in agrees to put you through the programme. Unless you manage to land a long term supply position, it will be difficult for you.

Essentially you have to 'pass' the term and have a mentor in the school who assesses you and signs off your paperwork. You need to complete three of these terms to be awarded qualified teacher status in the UK.

However, if you are just looking to gain experience in the classroom without completing the qualification then things will be easier for you.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

Why not find work in Australia? Thought there is a surplus there too, I hear it's a better gig than the UK system.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

If you have your license or certification than dont even bother going to UK.

Get a third tier school in some country.