Question about the IBO search

CaliPro

Question about the IBO search

Post by CaliPro »

I am checking for IB schools on IBO.org and I see many with a DY but no MY.

For example, I searched Brazil and it only brought up two MY programs for the whole country.

Wouldnt a school have a MY department if it had a DY department?
sid

Post by sid »

The 4 IB programs are completely separate and schools have total choice over which ones, how many and which combination.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Wow, interesting. Only 2 IB MY programs in all of Brazil.
Mr.C4ke

Post by Mr.C4ke »

Many more schools offer Diploma. British IS can often teach IGCSE and then the DP rather than the more traditional A-levels.

Here in a Thailand there are only a handful of schools that teach MYP too.
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

This is totally hearsay but, many IB teachers think that MYP does not prepare students for DP. So, the gap is often filled with IGCSE especially in British schools. I don't know what non British schools do.
Briz

Post by Briz »

I have students who have done MYP or IGCSE at various schools, and as far as I am concerned a student who comes from IGCSE is much better prepared. I teach SL and HL chemistry.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

So is IB experience not as important for middle school teachers? A bit confused on MYP/IB/DP.
Briz

Post by Briz »

MYP can be very difficult to navigate at first, and schools that impliment it well tend to have fewer staff fluctuations. DP on the other hand is merely a grind, can you help get the kids through with their EE, their TOK complete, all of their CAS hours complete, and all of the IA's properly marked. It is more the time management and secretarial aspects of DP which are where experience really shows. Which labs you pick in Group 4 for instance, some examiners moderate very strict based on what labs are done. You never know, even if you are an examiner yourself.

So yes experience plays a critical role in get a job as well as being able to do your job, 4 years of DP, and I still occasionally want to throw my hands up and say... What??
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Do middle school teachers deal with DP?

And for a middle school teacher does IB experience mean MYP?

Sorry for all the questions.
Briz

Post by Briz »

Yes and yes Cali
Nemo.

Post by Nemo. »

Its quite simple.

DP is simply the best pre U programme.

MYP is a dogs breakfast.

stands for muddly ysless programme (as most myp grads can't spell or pass exams or think)

Well that is my honest appraisal.