Hiring procedure

Manumanu

Hiring procedure

Post by Manumanu »

I am not sure what I am doing wrong and could use some help with application
Last edited by Manumanu on Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sid

Post by sid »

Let me tread carefully here.
Your post has linguistic features that suggest you might not be fully fluent in English. These include grammatical errors as well as constructions that are not typical for English. It is possible that you are fully fluent, but that you were typing in a hurry.
If you are not fully fluent, this could be holding your application back. Schools prefer teachers who have a fully mastered and nuanced grasp of English. This does not mean you must have English as a first language, but only that you must be able to use it at a very high level.

On the other hand, you might just be waiting because schools aren't ready to bite yet. There are many variables that determine how soon a school contacts people.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Sid you make a great point. It is a combination of both typing in a hurry as well as my English no the greatest.
sid

Post by sid »

Ok, then.
Make sure your CV and all application materials are in top-notch English. Get someone to help proofread and edit. This will show that when it really matters, you have the resources and will make the effort to produce a polished product.
Represent yourself accurately. Put it out there that you are not quite fluent. Explain the strategies you use to make sure you are successful as a teacher, with students, parents, colleagues.
And consider getting someone from the UK or the US to look over your application packet in terms of what you are including. If you are not from one of these countries, which are fairly dominant in the international school market, you might not be familiar with what the norms are, as they vary from culture to culture. When I get a CV which leads with the applicant's family status, father's name and driver's license number, I know I am looking at someone who has not internalized the cultural norms of international schools. And while it may seem silly, that can have huge implications in the classroom, if the applicant cannot adjust their behaviors to match the cultural norms of the students and colleagues. Not cookie-cutter match, just the sort of match where we're on the same page about behavioral expectations, what good teaching looks like, what contributions we're all expected to make towards duties and school fetes and such.

Consider going to a fair. You will be able to reach a much larger audience of recruiters, and be able to sell yourself in person. If the recruiter can see you being successful at communicating professionally and socially, you will be in with a shot.

If your English is not up to that level yet, maybe this isn't the year for you to move. Keep studying, so you're ready for next time. And keep an eye on cultural norms too, so you are ready for the sort of professional interaction the recruiters need to see.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

No I am not that bad. I know my English is not a writter or English teacher level, but it is average. I speak 3 languages which is a plus.
I showed my documents to some friends and they thought it was good. I know if I do ok when I take my time and edit my writting. Maybe international school are more strict and see things differently.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

Need some more information. Are you a counselor or a teacher? Please describe your experience both location and level.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Counselor. All grades public schools. I have 5 years high school and college admission. 4 years middle and elementary schools and 2 years district wide support and mentoring new employees. 15 years with same district, and a little bored doing the same thing. :)
Could it be that I mentioned that I am fluent in English and Arabic, and some Spanish?
No one said anything about the hiring process. Do they invite you to a specific fair if they are interested in you?
Thanks
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Manumanu

The American International School of Riyadh has a HS counselor position open. Get your application in. I am surprised, that you haven't signed up with Search, it gives you access to a great database that you can tweak to highlight only the jobs that fit YOUR criteria.

Good luck!
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Thanks! I will look into this. Most SEARCH fairs are overseas. I picked UNI because it is 6 hours drive from where I live. I thought between TIE and UNI I should be ok. TIE has 40 positions for me and I applied to at leas 20.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Final couple of questions:

1- I haven't signed up for any fairs yet, but I am going to register for UNI soon. All I have so far is TIEONLINE and it has not been very effective. Does UNI have a better search database? Is there a disadvantage if I wait until January to sign up?
2- My other option is to register for SEARCH instead and attend San Francisco, Toronto, or wait for Bethesda but that would be a lot more costly for me. Would it be worth it?

3- What tips do you have for the fairs besides dressing up and being calm? Do you take plenty of folders with resumes/documents to hand in, or flash drives? Any tips?
Thanks for sharing.