Concordian International School Bangkok

Teacher

Concordian International School Bangkok

Post by Teacher »

Does anyone have any information on this school please? I notice they have quite a few positions advertized currently. I may have dreamed this but I'm pretty sure they had a review on this site which bizzarely disappeared - can anyone remember reading it? Anyone know why it disappeared? Any information would be great. I am a member by the way.
radikal3

hmphh

Post by radikal3 »

I worked recently at CIS and and would advise anyone considering to work there to ask to talk to someone who ıs currently still there. The director was the former high school principal from Shanghai American School. While I got along well with the director others did not and his respect levels dropped signficantly by the end of the school year. This could have been due to the fact that he seemed to be cleaning house.

The main problem with the school as I saw it is that it is run, like many schools in Thailand, by a person with too much money and not enough educational background. The owner really does care about the school and the kids, but keeps interfering with the teachers and does not allow the Directr to do his job. The school has meager resources at all grade levels, however the gymnasium and sports facilties are well stocked.

The school itself is physically impressive and looks like a 4 star hotel. While it is a state of the art purpose built facility no one knows what that purpose was. A more beatiful school you will never find, but the disfunctions are many. Again, as with most things Thai, it is all about appearances and not about functionality.

One other issue is that CIS is trying to offer a trilingual program. And while this may sound cutting edge to some itis purely experimental and all the teachers that were there complained about the low levels of English ability and that the PYP program is difficult to impliment properly as they only see the children for 40% of the time they are there.

On a good note the school is trying to make changes and become a better school and I do wish them success as the kids are great and eager to learn.

Overall, CIS is a middle of the road school in Thailand. Few internationally hired teachers stay beyond their two year contracts, while the local hire foreigners stay for many as it is the best job they can find. Last year only one overseas English speaking hired teacher who could have returned did. All others left and 4 broke contract to leave. In a small school, when over 13 teachers leave, it sends a strong message as to what people think of the school.

One final word though, the housing was significantly improved over the summer and Thiland is a great country. Corrupt as anything with an in-your-face-xxx trade but still an easy place to live and save some money.
China

Post by China »

I would be really careful working for this director.

Although his competency is generally quite questionable (I wonder sometimes how these doctorates are acquired), he will wield his interpretation of administrative "power" whenever possible. Probably the most troublesome souls in positions of authority are those suffering from a significant lack of self-confidence.

His reputation at Shanghai American School was extremely shakey in many areas of his "administration". There was limited ability to complete even mundane tasks, hollow trustworthiness towards parents and teachers, and a rather covetous attitude towards school property. He was, unfortunately for him, the general laughing stock of the faculty, student body and parents.

It's probably a good idea to just keep your mouth shut and do your job if you do decide to work with him.
YoDude

Ditto above...

Post by YoDude »

What the previous poster has said is unfortunately true. I worked at a school with connections with his Shanghai school, and this guys reputation is well-known among them. Too much time on his hands for too many tasks that he had not business being involved with, while neglecting much of what he should have been doing well. That's the word anyway, and my several sources are highly-professional. But if you are an attractive young woman, you will do well there!
YoDude

CIS Head...

Post by YoDude »

...and just one more tidbit that will, perhaps, give you an idea what the Head is like. Go take a look at his school's website. Then compare it with 99.9% of the websites of other international schools. Notice any difference? Sure you notice it right off, on page 1. It is a glorious photo of the Head himself, in living color. It speaks volumes about his opinion of himself, like another poster said, perhaps using different terminology, but his school is his school and he wants you to know it. More significantly, he thinks he is a handsome charmer and he wants you to SEE it! When I was in Beijing, even that far away from Shanghai, the news got around.
Saint Francis

Re: Ditto above...

Post by Saint Francis »

I agree 100%! I have worked with this guy and believe me, you have to be more than careful! The best advise? Just avoid him! Unless, that's true, if you are an attractive young woman... He is unprofessional, incompetent, and if he is a Dr. I am Alexander The Great.

[quote="YoDude"]What the previous poster has said is unfortunately true. I worked at a school with connections with his Shanghai school, and this guys reputation is well-known among them. Too much time on his hands for too many tasks that he had not business being involved with, while neglecting much of what he should have been doing well. That's the word anyway, and my several sources are highly-professional. But if you are an attractive young woman, you will do well there![/quote]
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

And believe it or not he is now the head of the biggest international school in Beijing! Will wonders never cease!