Chances?

khinton

Chances?

Post by khinton »

Hey everyone. I'm wondering what my chances are of landing a job. I have a trailing spouse. She is a teacher, but currently stays home with our two daughters (3 and 1). I know that this really puts a dent in my competitiveness, but we would like to go to Africa, which seems like it might be less competitive overall. Opinions and advice?

A bit more about my situation:
-In my 11th year teaching HS English. 1 year overseas in French public HS, 10 in bay area, California. Last 7 in high-performing district.
-BA/MA in English
-Experience as Department Chair
-Departmental Tech Lead (tech support for department). Also run school-wide professional development sessions for tech tools.
-IB Training, but no IB teaching experience.
-Certified online/blended teacher (equivalent to Leading Edge Digital Educator Cert.)

Have been looking mainly in East Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Ethiopia), but open to other options as well.

Thanks a lot!
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I would say you chances of finding a position are very small with two kids and a stay home wife. Are your kids old enough to be in school? Even if they are the school will be stuck for transport, shipping of personal goods and school enrollment as opposed to a couple that both teach with no kids in toe. You never know, you may get luck so don't give up. If you taught chemistry or math your chances would be much better. English teachers I don't believe are in high demand.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

khubtibm

recruit as a teaching couple. You will have many more opportunities. With your kids, the oldest will be turning 4 next year - that is KG 1 age and your youngest is turning 3, which is pre-k.

Many international schools offer these programs and you can bring your kids to school, drop them off, and go to work. In fact, it is often true that you can get coverage from colleagues to go watch your kids events when they happen.

Failing that, hiring a nanny, either live-in or live-out is also easy in many countries.

Talk with you wife - you would be competitive yourself, but not with three non-teaching dependents. But as a teaching couple, much more competitive. Usually schools look at one teacher, one dependent.

Also important - what does she teach?
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

khinton,

You probably will find it difficult to get a position at a quality school for two reasons. One, you will have three dependents and two, you teach HS English. HS English is not a high need area overseas as there are a significant number of candidates. You could probably find a position, but it may be at a lower quality school where you may not want your daughter to go to school in a couple of years. If you recruit as a couple, you will increase your chances.

Also, think carefully about the security/safety situation in Kenya particularly with young ones.