Non native speaker (Dutch) possibilities

BM12

Non native speaker (Dutch) possibilities

Post by BM12 »

Hi all,

I was wondering about my possibilities getting into an international school.

I am 31 years old and have a bachelor of education, certified to teach history. I also have a Master in special educational needs. I am currently studying for another bachelor of education, with the goal to be certified to teach dutch. I am aware that this second bachelor will not have any value when applying at an international school.

I have been working fulltime as a history and dutch language teacher since 2009 and I am also a mentor of my own class. I did take 10 months off in 2010-2011 to travel in Asia. Other then that, I have been working for the same school these past four years.

The reason I wanted to get another degree is that I thought that as a non native teacher in a not so popular subject I would always loose when a native speaker would apply for the same job. So I choose to focus on getting into a Dutch school abroad (about 200 world wide). I will be finished with my degree in the summer of 2015. I would be looking to get into some of the Dutch schools in Asia, but because there are only about 20 of them, my choices and chances are slim.

Since one of my current teachers, with 12 years of experience working at international schools, said I could still get into international schools I would like to know what you think my chances would be.

I do want to try and get the certificate of proficiency before I start applying.

So in short, with two bachelors and a Master plus the certificate and about six years of experience as a non native speaker, would there be a reasonable chance to get into international teaching, preferably in Asia?

Thanks for any info,

Cheers,
B.
REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

Kijk eens bij de Internationale School in Curacao ! Die zochten nog iemand in de GS sectie. Lijkt me een interessante functie voor jou met jouw profiel..
BM12

Post by BM12 »

[quote="REmmerink"]Kijk eens bij de Internationale School in Curacao ! Die zochten nog iemand in de GS sectie. Lijkt me een interessante functie voor jou met jouw profiel..[/quote]

Bedankt voor de tip. Momenteel ben ik nog niet op zoek, eerst nog anderhalf jaar mijn bachelor Nederlands afmaken. Misschien wel iets voor in de toekomst.
BM12

Post by BM12 »

Would still welcome any opinion or info :)
REmmerink

Post by REmmerink »

Ze happen nog niet echt he ;-)

Anyway... Although I am not an expert in this field, I would say that your chances are not as bad as you might think they are. But I guess it also depends on how many dependants you have, what kind of schools you are aiming for (Tier 1 or lower..) and many other variables.

But I hope some more experienced forum user can help you with your questions...
BM12

Post by BM12 »

I have no dependants, and just hoping to get started somewhere in Asia, with some potential to save and travel...

But yeah, hopefully there'll be some more replies