New International Teacher

cstell

New International Teacher

Post by cstell »

Hi all-

Interested in Intl. Teaching.
I have a Masters in Sped and Elementary Ed as well as 2 years teaching experience full-time; 1 year as a special education teacher for HS students and 1 year as a fourth grade teacher. I also have some teaching experience in Peace Corps. My current place of work counted 1 of my years as a Peace Corps volunteer as teaching experience, so overall (depending on the school) I have 3. I realize that may not be realistic to count my PC service.

I'm thinking of attending the Boston ISS fair to scout out the competition and schools in attendance. I know I may need a few more years before I am a competitive candidate so I am considering teaching 3rd grade next year at my current school.

Anyone have advice or strategies for landing a good one?

I'm constantly on here reading reviews, checking TIE, checking ISS, etc... just doing research, but any words from current folks in good (or bad!) international schools would be fantastic to read!

Thanks! xx
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

Have you already secured a spot at the Boston Search fair? Last I heard, it was full.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Teaching in the Peace Corps really has little to do with teaching in International Schools where you are catering to the upper 10 percent of the local population and kids from embassies and well to do business people. So I don't think that experience will be of much value, except that it shows you adapted to living in another culture and that should be worth something. I don't mean to discourage you and you should go to conference and give it your best. I found my first job with two years teaching experience and some travel under my belt. You can do it, too!!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

From what I hear, Cambridge Search is full. I would work on getting another year of experience stateside nad then hit a fair.

Your alternative is to use TIEonline and apply for UNI. The way the big fairs are going, they are filling much faster than last year in my opinion.

Hope this helps,

shad
cstell

Post by cstell »

Yes, I didn't think that would count (as I've learned), but I figured I'd ask your opinions.

As a 2nd year teacher with no dependents and certifications in Elementary and Sped I was hoping my chances might be improved.
It seems to me that the more experience the better...