Children growing up

kleikm

Children growing up

Post by kleikm »

What do you do when your children approach college age and you are still teaching overseas? Does anyone has any personal stories of how and where your children chose to go to college?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

kleikm,

our daughter and son were with us overseas in 3 countries. Our daughter hated our last country and returned home to graduate while living with relatives. Our son graduated a few years ago and went back to school in our home country. He didn't have to pay any differential fees, his grades were accepted as they stood, and he made a successful transition to university life 11,000 miles away from us.

If you are relying on student loans for your child or children, then it is a different kettle of fish. There might be residency issues that impact whether your son or daughter is eligible for student loans. Fortunately, we had money put aside specifically for that.

I hope this helps!

Shad
kleikm

Post by kleikm »

Thank you shadowjack. How did you handle the distance and not being able to see them often?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Honestly, kleikm,

our boy is so busy with his program and other uni stuff that he doesn't have a lot of time. When we don't hear from him for awhile, we send a FB message and usually get a fairly quick response. Every now and then we use Skype-to-Phone to call his phone (only 1.2 cents a minute!) when we want to chat. We make sure that is in the evening his time.

He is spreading his wings and flying - but when he found out we were moving to a new country after 7 years in our last post, his first question was, "Can I come visit at Christmas?"

At first it was tough, but kids need to learn to live independently at some point and we need to give them space to do so - forced or otherwise :-)
BlueJay

Post by BlueJay »

You know ShadowJack, you're exactly that type of teacher that I am hoping to meet and work with one day on the curcuit. I'm heading to London in Jan. Been sending out my resume to jobs that match and haven't had 1 single request for an interview. I've been teaching over 9 years. Wish me luck in London, I think I'll need it.

Heck, if I don't get any interviews while there at least I get to see London. So bonus and win for me either way.
kleikm

Post by kleikm »

Shadowjack, how about your children's health insurance if they are not with you?
trebleclef

Post by trebleclef »

kleikm,

Our oldest graduated from our int'l school last year and is attending university in a state 3,000 miles from our home state. We are all able to rationalize not seeing each other frequently with the fact that we wouldn't be seeing him all that much anyway during the school year, even if we were still teaching in the US, due to the distance. We Skype at least once a week. He is happy and settled; he credits the skills he cultivated living as a TCK to his easy transition. He will be spending the holidays with his grandparents and other family members in our home state. As far as insurance, the provider through our school provides continuing insurance to dependents of teachers, as long as said dependents are enrolled in college. If this isn't an option for you, many universities offer inexpensive health care insurance plans for students.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

BlueJay, thank you! I try to be collegial and helpful to my fellow teachers, regardless of whether they reciprocate. I keep in mind that it isn't about me, it's about what is best for the students. I didn't hear anything apart from one interview/job offer before my fair last year, but ended up with 8 interviews, lots of interest, and the job offer at my present school, which I am so happy I accepted. I am really enjoying it here.

Don't give up hope or get too down. Enjoy!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

kleikm,

medical care in our home country is universal, so it is not a concern. Good schools have insurance policies that do cover dependents at university, usually until age 22.

hope this helps!
kleikm

Post by kleikm »

Thank you for your replies.