Any info on Advanced Learning Schools - Riyadh?

chemteacher101

Any info on Advanced Learning Schools - Riyadh?

Post by chemteacher101 »

I see some reviews on the pay side of this site, but only on the principals and headmaster (but these seemed to be from people who interviewed with them and no actual reviews of the class were found)....

Does anyone know anything about this school? I'm interested in Saudi but I have heard horror stories of some schools taking away teachers' passports and basically holding them hostages in Saudi against their will...

Anyone knows about this particular school?
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

If you do a little grubbing around, you'll find that most schools in the mE take your passport for various periods of time, and some countries require an exit visa before you leave. In good schools, this is not a problem. It's just SOP. You do hear the odd horror story, but many result from incompetence rather than malice.
The malicious stories, of course, make headlines!
chemteacher101

Post by chemteacher101 »

Thanks Cheery, any info specifically regarding this school by any chance?
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi Chemteacher
I suppose I am talking out of my bottom here, because I don't have any specific information about those schools, but I would not take a job at any school outside the well-known few: ISG, Aramco and a couple of others.
What I DO know is that most schools that have gulf arab owners, or admin, or managers CAN be very difficult to work in.
It's difficult to overstate the differences between the outlook and culture of the average western teacher and many GA's. This may or may not impinge upon your working life, depending on the nature of the school.
Yes, this sounds racist, yes it is a generalisation. Yes, I speak from personal experience. I also personally know some awesome Saudi's who are smart, funny and totally understand how a good school should function. But I would not accept a job in any ME school if it was owned, run, or governed (in the main) by locals.
Things RARELY go wrong in a big way. Research helps.

No flames please. Just trying to be helpful.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

ALS is a smaller school. Classes are segregated. There is a female campus across the street from the male campus. I have had quite a few friends teach there. Some liked it and stayed for a number of years. Others didn't like it as much, did their two years, and left.

Housing is on a very nice Western compound about a 5 - 10 minute drive from campus. You get a travel allowance that would be enough to rent a car, or purchase a vehicle if you chose. Your accommodation and all utilities are paid. I believe you pay your internet. Housing is in the west end of town and close to downtown. There are many functions available to attend on the diplomatic quarter at embassies. As the embassies are not on Saudi soil, you can indulge yourself.

The school itself is also known as the "Princes' and Princess' School". Most students are from very wealthy families connected to the Royal family. It is an IB school. The biggest problem at the school is that they need to expand, but due to some problems, have not been able to find the land to do so. Rumour is that this might happen soon and a new campus being constructed. Then again, this has been the rumour for the past three years or so.

If you go, be open minded. Saudi is not a bad place - there is lots to do. You can join dance groups, go hashing with SH3, watch movies at the MDF, get involved in local theater groups, sing with the choral society, or more.

Good luck!
ready2go

Post by ready2go »

I also know someone who has worked at ALS. It has it's issues, but what school doesn't? As to passports, they said it was a non issue. The school took them to process iqamas, then gave them back. No hostage situation at all. I believe thst Saudi law says you can't hold both an iqama and a passport at the same time, but this school seems to be an exception in that reguard.
Sherhazade

Re: Any info on Advanced Learning Schools - Riyadh?

Post by Sherhazade »

A follow up question on this school. With the split gender classes, is behavior for the girls side likely to be better than on the boys?

Anyone taught, or know people who are there now with any updated information? I'm seeing a lot of need for immediate hire notices on TIE, which always gives me pause.
shadowjack

Re: Any info on Advanced Learning Schools - Riyadh?

Post by shadowjack »

People I know were from both sides. Nothing crazy on either side. These kids are from families that want them to do well, but for philosophical or other reasons, don't want to send them to the British or American schools.
PsyGuy

Response

Post by PsyGuy »

Depends on the age group, the girls tend to be better behaved at lower ages but by upper secondary they are about the same as far as behavior. Its mainly for religious reasons and lack of available places.

Its the Kingdom they always having trouble hiring. Its a revolving door of turnover.