Cambridge is full

Teachermama

Cambridge is full

Post by Teachermama »

So now what? Pay twice to go to UNI? Use the database and hope for the best and ask for an invite to Vancouver or San Francisco just in case? Any suggestions?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Vancouver is a dump fair, SF is really the start of the dredge through the lower tier schools. Unless you were local to the bay area I wouldnt go. UNI is an option if your looking at mostly hardship regions and lower tier schools, that would just as easily hire you over a Skype interview as they would F2F.

The database value doesnt change, depending on the scope of your job search.

The super fairs always fill up fast, spaces become available as the fair gets closer, and if your a marketable candidate likely to get an offer during or as a result of the fair your associate will make space or arrange space to become available.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

The schools are not all lower-end (JIS? FCAQ? ASB? SAS? Those were just some of the schools I interviewed when there.) The atmosphere was very collegial, and recruiters were in hiring mode, not simply fishing. A number of IS veterans I met preferred the lower-key atmosphere and cost.

THE fair to go to is the one with the most positions you're qualified for. If you can afford it, and can stand the cold of an Iowa winter, I'd say go for it. Meanwhile, keep looking.
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

I would advise going to UNI over San Francisco. There are a fair number of schools there and it is early enough that there will be a number of vacancies. The one caveat is it is the same week-end as Cambridge, so some of the schools may have interview teams at both or may only go to Cambridge.

There tend to be fewer big name schools in UNI, but not many go to San Francisco as they have filled their positions by then. Have you thought about the ISS Boston fair which is right after Cambridge?