Likelyhood of interview?

KEL_81

Likelyhood of interview?

Post by KEL_81 »

Hello

Just looking for some insight from experienced members! A school I've applied for and really like the look of has contacted my references. Do they do this with all applications that they receive or does this mean I may have made an initial cut?

I know second guessing is doing me no favours but I can't help it!

Thanks
hairsonfire

Post by hairsonfire »

In my experience with hiring committees, if we are taking the time to contact references, we are fairly interested in a candidate. If your references were solid, an interview is likely. Calling references for all applicants would be extremely time consuming, and at least half of your applicants usually don't make the initial cut for one reason or another...
Good Luck!
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

In my previous school I was placed on a committee to choose my replacement. We contacted the references of the top 6 candidates and interviewed just one candidate. So I would say you have made some sort of initial cut. Of course each school is different.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

kel_81, take everything Mr. T Daley says with a huge grain of salt. He's a compulsive liar and will make things up to please his masters.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Actually, KEL_81, it is Higgsboson you should be ignoring. Read through some of his posts and you'll get the general idea. There are few on this forum who would disagree with me.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

Kel_81

IAMBOG is a troll who knows everything about everything. Ignore him.

If this school offers you a contract, sign it. In fact, sign all contracts that come your way. I typically sign 3 contracts a year.

Once, the school flew me in, give me a week in a hotel and thousands of dollars relocation and when my week was up, I went to the next school. Many will tell you this is morally reprehensible but they will not mention how morally reprehensible most international schools are.

Take my advice and ignore sycophants like BOG: do the school before the school does you.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Need I say more?
KEL_81

Post by KEL_81 »

Wow! That took a turn that I wasn't expecting! Thanks, I think?! :lol:
tdaley26

Masters?

Post by tdaley26 »

I don't really see how my previous post could be designed to please my present "masters"!!!!! especially since I was relating an instance from my former employer.

To the OP. I repeat, you probably did make some sort of initial cut, as far as whether you are in the final 3, or 6 or 10, I have no clue.

Of course, take my input with a grain of salt, since I only post on here to please my employer overlord!!!!!
PsyGuy

Discussion

Post by PsyGuy »

Lets try to remember that forum policy and tradition dictate that PsyGuy is the exclusive target of all personal attacks and assaults. If you cant lose your venom and bane on me, you may find yourself unwelcome here, and labeled Persona Non Grata.

Most schools only contact references for the short short list, it takes time and resources, so its at least an indication of interest. It does not mean you will get interviewed or made an offer.
tdaley26

Post by tdaley26 »

Sorry for stealing your thunder Psy!
albert49

Post by albert49 »

. . . just when I thought it might be "safe to get back in the water" . . .
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Bloody hell! You lot got out of bed on the wrong side today!
(Ducks and runs for cover....)
Nomads

Post by Nomads »

It does mean you have made an initial cut. Most schools cannot invest the time in contacting references for everyone who applies. it sounds like you made the first paper cut and they are using references to determine who to interview.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

This is the best thread I've read on the ISR forum in some time.

Kel_81, whose answer will you put the most stock in? Higs, tday, or Bog? We need to have a winner!

Also, welcome back to Psy.
I thought maybe you were pulling an Ichiro on us. (In this use of the word it means to post a lot, and then stop posting)