Do I mention my dog during interviews at a job fair?

schoolcounselor

Do I mention my dog during interviews at a job fair?

Post by schoolcounselor »

Or in any other part of the application process at schools not attending the fair?

My sole dependent is a 18-lb well trained mutt (he has traveled internationally with me before, although not for jobs). I wouldn't consider leaving him behind any more than someone else would a human child, so that route isn't a option I am considering.

Applying for school counselor jobs starting now and attending AASSA fair in early December. Should I mention my dog? When in the process and how?

I HAVE read the blog & comments here on ISR on Going Abroad With Pets. Looking for more, and recent advice.

Thanks for any insight & direct experience.
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

If I remember correctly, there's a spot on the SEARCH forms to mark whether or not you have a pet, so I checked that box.

But other than that, I waited until I was offered jobs to mention my cat. My last job, I brought her up after I'd been offered the job by asking if pets were allowed in the school-owned housing. I actually don't think I brought up my cat at all during the interviewing process this last time because my current school doesn't have school-owned housing. But I always make sure to check out the laws of the country I'm considering before accepting. If the country has very restrictive import procedures/quarantine, then I won't do it. Like you, I would never consider not bringing my cat.
mollymillions

Post by mollymillions »

I would recommend doing some research before you apply:

1. what are the import laws for dogs to the country? Depending on where you are coming from, some places will let you straight in, others will have a varying period of quarantine (some are very long and expensive), some won't let you in at all.
2. does the school provide housing? If so, drop them an email to ask if dogs/pets are allowed. If not, how easy will it be to find the right sort of accommodation, which you can afford, in the right area, where you can have a pet?
3. Are there places to walk your dog? Access to vets? A google search for "dog walk ***" is normally enough to get an idea of how easy it will be.

18 lbs is fairly small, I've got an 85 lb dog and it's not been a problem so far although our choice of destination has been limited by where she will be happy too.

Whether your dog has to fly in the hold or can go in the cabin with you is dependent on size rather than weight. There are lots of companies which will do all the paperwork for you. It's more expensive than doing it yourself but also a lot more simple.
sid

Post by sid »

Since it's non-negotiable, first do your research, as suggested. Beyond the laws/logistics of the country, it's key to understand the school's housing practices. If you'll be arranging your own housing, it's not much of an issue. But if the housing is provided directly by the school, you should ask early on about the rules re pets. In some schools, pets are absolutely not allowed in the school housing. Find out before you get too far into the process - don't waste your own time (or the recruiter's).
schoolcounselor

Thank-you all, for the helpful ideas. I will start research on the dog regulations on each country I am researching schools within. Attending AASSA fair in early Dec, as my first regional choice is Latin/South America or Mexico. My dog and I spent last summer in Mexico and as he is long-legged, he flew cargo and it was easy-peasy. He's a good traveler.

I have been thinking about places where the local culture is at least dog-friendly and it's safe enough for us to walk and exercise together.
chilagringa

Post by chilagringa »

Mexico and (from what I've heard) other places in Latin America are very dog friendly. I doubt it would be a problem at all if you got a job in Mexico. Everyone has a dog there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

the only time to mention it is after the offer has been accepted and your handeling logistics. The biggest issue is if houseing is provided and they wont initially allow pets. From my experience enough money can make landlords very accomadating. You could also discuss the possibility of an exception and get a housing allowance.

Of course importing your dog has differnt levels of difficulty depending ont he country. Ive never seen it easy, but it isnt the horror story i once thought it was.
sid

Post by sid »

I have to strongly disagree here.
Waiting until after acceptance could be a massive error.
At best, the recruiter smiles and says 'oh, no worries, we can help with that'.
At worst, the recruiter rescinds the job offer because either they simply cannot accommodate a pet, or because they feel you were dishonest by not disclosing relevant information.
I'll readily admit that worst case scenario is unlikely, but still, why would anyone want to do something that will make your new employer suspect you are economical with the truth?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@sid

At a certain point there are issues that simply arent a schools business. This is a pet and while important to the pet owner it has very very (add a couple more verys) little to do with the employment relationship. Its a possession, and contrary to the OPs post its not a child. The school really doesnt need to do anything accept in the limited situation as described above where housing may become an issue. Even in a case where a school had no flexibility, they wouldnt recind the offer they would leave the decision on the teacher to either bring or leave the pet. This is being done at contract acceptance not the day before departure. Am i dishonest if I dont make a full disclosure of every personal item im bringing with me. Does that make someone dishonest because personal business isnt relevant in this case professionally.
If we change the scenario ever so slightly and remove the housing situation entirely such as the school provides a housing allowance is it still a "relevant disclosure"? Do I have to tell a school im bringing my grey and red heart flannel pajamas, because someone might think it was "relevant"?
schoolcounselor

Re: Do I mention my dog during interviews at a job fair?

Just an update: I was upfront about my dog from the beginning with schools and that did not seem to deter me from landing a wonderful position and 2 other good offers I declined. Thank you for the helpful advice @sid and @mollymillions.

p.s. PsyGuy, you are entitled to your opinion, but please understand that your opinion is not a global fact. It is neither your place, nor good manners to pronounce judgement on my relationship with my dog. You may own yours as you own flannel pajamas, mine is a treasure companion that I share my life with and support as a dependent.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

Wonderful news. Has your school been able to put you in touch with a current staff member who has a dog that they brought in? I think that is the best way to get concrete information on the process. It can be hard to find country specific and airline specific information on animal transport. There are companies that deal with logistics of pet transport, but they can be quite a lot on top of costs associated with the airlines. You do what you have to do, but some places it is unnecessary and other places it's critical to have someone.

By the way SighGuy seems to have disappeared from these forums.
adminpaul

Post by adminpaul »

I think you'll find this ISR Blog helpful: Going International With Pets.

http://internationalschoolsreviewdiscus ... with-pets/
Curitiba

Post by Curitiba »

Congratulations schoolcounselor. I will respond to this post for others who have the same question...

If your dog is part of your family, like schoolcounselor and me, be upfront about it from the first minute. It is a deal breaker, and don't waste your or anyone else's time.

For example, I was super excited to have a handful of interview requests in my folder when I got to the Search London Fair last week, only to have to go to 7 tables and politely decline simply because they have 6 month quarantines for dogs upon arrival in their countries.

At interview tables, I ask about housing straight away. I have been told by admin that they respect the fact that I respect their time and check this out in advance. I even had a previous post bend the housing rules for me since I was up front with them from the beginning and we could get a head start on paperwork and housing issues.

Good luck to everyone who has chosen to make their pet a priority; my pooch is off to his 5th country in July ;)
schoolcounselor

Thank you, eion. I will be moving to Mexico. Having spent a few summers there and brought my dog with me, I am comfortable and know the system for entering my new country. I made a spreadsheet for my job search process with every school attending the AASSA fair, plus others I was applying to myself, with a column for the country regulations on importing pets. And as I talked to admins, I learned a lot on this issue. Brazil didn't seem too easy, and the school there that was interested couldn't accommodate, the director really appreciated me not wasting his time and energy.

Admin, thank you. I had read that article prior to posting.

curitiba, thank you! glad to know your experience at Search lines up with mine at AASSA!

Bingo and I are both excited to move to hot weather and embark on our new adventure. Several faculty members and future colleagues in the counseling dept have reached out via email that have dogs and shared their experiences -all positive. The schools seems to have a lot of dog folks and plenty of housing options that allow dogs. I am truly thankful!