Landing a good job in Europe

MIS

Landing a good job in Europe

Post by MIS »

What does it take to land a position at a reputable school in Europe?

Does one need a masters? Do positions become open in major Western European cities regularly?

Just trying to get an idea of what my chances would be and whether or not it would be worth investing in a recruiting agency to land a position for next year. I'm really only open to Europe and I know flexibility tends to be key, so I don't want to invest the time and money if my chances are slim.

Thanks.
Last edited by MIS on Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sid

Post by sid »

It can be quite hard to get positions in popular cities like Paris, London, etc. Tons of people are extremely keen to live there, so competition is fierce and packages tend to be on the low side. You'll be in the queue with colleagues with 30 years experience and Masters degrees and pensions from home to supplement their meager European income.
The story is quite different in other European cities. Try countries in Western Europe. Former USSR satellites. Places really far north. Competition is much lower, packages often significantly better, and quality of life very similar. With your credentials, you'd probably find a decent position.
MIS

Post by MIS »

Thanks for the response.

Does joining a recruiting agency significantly improve one's chances of landing a job or can it be done just as easily using online resources like TIE?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The problem I see in your resume is that your experience is limited to only middle school, and the expectation is that a secondary teacher would be able to teach 6-12 MYP and DIP. I cant put you in a DIP Chemistry class or History class if i need too, and WE schools tend to be on the smallish side where flexibility is key.

Other then that your really golden, and you have an EU passport which is really all the difference. There are WE schools every year thaat can or will only hire someone with an EU passport and they have vacancies they cant fill (spain is common every year). The Ib experience is also VERY valuable, though many of the top tier schools are national curriculum schools.

A masters would help, as many of the competition you will go up against will have masters degrees.

Sid is right though taxes in many WE countries are brutal, and the salaries arent really high they tend to be in the middle range of salaries within the region.
carlflanders

Post by carlflanders »

There are lots of reputable schools in Europe. They are not all in big, 'glamourous' cities. If you want to work there, go for it! Do your homework. Go to the London job fair in January.
Don't worry about whether you school is right exactly in your ideal spot. You can get all over Europe via rail in small amounts of time. Best of luck, follow your dream!