Protocol for Application Follow Up

ibrahim123

Protocol for Application Follow Up

Post by ibrahim123 »

Hello All,

After you submit your application directly to a school what is the standard protocol? Do you usually wait until the school contacts you and how long do you wait until you assume you did not gain the position?

Do you follow up with the school to get the status of the application? If so, how long after you submit your application?
sid

Post by sid »

Sadly, it seems that schools in general are notorious about not getting back to applicants. If you send the application to the right address, you have to take it on faith that it was screened. If the school is interested, sooner or later you'll hear something. If they're not, you might never hear. And the time frame can be quite long - if you're someone of interest, but not at the top of the school's list, they might consider and interview several other candidates before deciding whether to contact you. Or sometimes, even if you're at the top of the list, the school's process doesn't start until long after you've submitted an ap.

In my view, it's rather wrong not to send any reply at all. On the other hand, I sympathize with the time frame issues. Recruiting is a fluid process and while it's excruciating to be sat waiting on the other end, there are real reasons why schools can take what seems forever to make a move.

Apply to my school and you'll get a sort of automated response, thanking you for your interest and indicating that we'll contact you if we're interested. In other words, don't expect any more contact if we're not interested. There's no time frame given, as generally we don't have one; we hire as we find the people we want, whether that takes days, weeks or months. And while you might not be our first choice, we do take notes on all applications, so we know who's next in line if our first choices don't work out or a new position opens up.

Protocol on your end? Wait at least a week if you don't get any response at all, then contact the school and gently inquire. No response after that? Give up, unless that school is everything you've ever dreamed of.
If you do get a response to your initial application, but it's vague (like my school's automatic response), wait at least 2 weeks and then gently inquire.

And never give up hope. Situations change, positions open and close and open... You might hear nothing for months and then BOOM, there it is, a request to interview.

Which all adds up to why I recommend fairs for most applicants. You're there, the school is there, good things can happen quickly. For experienced and excellent educators, it can be easy to get hired through e-mail applications and Skype interviews. But for those newer to the circuit or with smaller halos around their heads, fairs can be the easier route.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I think Sid is right. I have heard that some of the big schools can have as many as 2-3000 applications in a year so it is not surprising that responses can be few and far between.
More and more schools are developing the ability to send automated responses as it is in everyone's interest to know that information has arrived.
Just to put it into context, I have applied to 7 schools in the past 4 weeks and have had 5 responses (3 of which were automated, 2 more personal) and 2 stony silences. To be fair, the silences are from the two most recent apps.

One question I do have is whether to double up with the "one button" expression of interest available through ISS, as well as the app through the school website? I tend to do both. Any thoughts?
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

This is only my 2nd time recruiting - but I've found that sending apps directly has yielded more direct responses versus the "send school an email" button this time around. Granted, there aren't 100s of positions up for counselors so maybe that's why it's getting flagged faster and I have actual overseas experience now. I have also contacted principals/heads of schools directly if a friend is leaving the position or I heard about on the grapevine.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

I'm not even bothering sending anything to Singapore American School and/or other such schools. I see on Search they're advertising but I figure if they're at my fair in January then I could approach them there. Or, maybe I'll send an email a few weeks before asking for an interview, if possible, at the fair.

I'm just getting the feeling that everything happens at or hinges on the fair. I have a lot of good experience but I'm elementary - not a critical shortage area.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

For those schools that send an automated response.. do you follow up with them if you don't hear anything after that for a while? Contact the principal/director directly?

What have you (anyone) said in that follow up email?
Crgallen22

Post by Crgallen22 »

I am also curious as to what exactly people write in a follow-up email to keep it from being an annoyance.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I mostly agree with Sids response. Schools either want you or they dont, and then they either really want you, or you dont exist to them. 1st tier schools and elites can get thousands of applications every year.

Those "send interest" buttons are worthless, they all go to the schools same email inbox and staff dont have time to respond to them. the feeling is if you were really interested youd send an application packet.

A lot does happen before and after fairs. Its just a lot happens at fairs which is really a very short period of time spread over a very short period of time.

Elementary is not a high demand field at all, most ISs save their primary school positions for teacher couples.

About the only disagreement we have is "waiting a week" to send a followup message. Schools start their recruiting process at different times and have different stages. Some schools start early, but they are only building an applicant data base. Some schools have a lot of applications to go through and some just have procedures that you arent privy too. Aside from that recruiters and administrators have a lot to do. My advice is to followup when the application window closes.

Make the email simple, name, position applied for, and that youd like to discuss the position with them.