Does having a minor or a major matter if you are certified?

Lastname_Z

Does having a minor or a major matter if you are certified?

Post by Lastname_Z »

If you are certified to teach a subject, but you only minored in it, does that make a difference when applying for jobs? Specifically, does it matter after you have acquired experience in teaching that subject?
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

This has been discussed a lot.

Obviously its better to have a degree in your teaching area, however it is not the end of the world if you dont.

As always the number one most important thing is experience.
Lastname_Z

Post by Lastname_Z »

Well you answered my question inadvertently. So thank you.

I thought a minor might mean more than someone who has only taken courses in his subject area or someone who only has the cert but no real course experience. Or that it is even the same as a major in the subject.

I'm guessing I was wrong though.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Being actually certified in a subject counts a lot, even if you don't have the degree for it. I'm certified in, and have taught, four different areas. Do be aware that some countries' ministries, and perhaps some individual schools, require that you have a degree in the area that you will be teaching. That caught me up during one job fair.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

For an entry level teacher it matters. Over half of a teachers resume value is in their experience, if you dont have any or its very lite then an admin/recruiter doesnt have much accept your academics and your certificate. Having a certificate doesnt amount for much since you need one to be in the profession. So ensuring an admins comfort in your ability is going to come down to what you studied. An admin isnt going to put someone in a DIP classroom with no experience no degree and only a certification to say you know what your doing. Some schools really cant be selective though they have a vacancy and your the best candidate they have available.

After building your resume your major doesnt really matter much anymore. Everyone knows people who were great academics or researchers, but cant teach to save their lives.