Singapore American School and other big schools

newchapter

Singapore American School and other big schools

Post by newchapter »

I was surprised at the savings potential listed on Search Associates for Singapore American School. Wondering if anyone has any opinion on it.

Also wondering if I should even bother to send in app. for elem position at SAS and other large schools. I'm sure if I had a Masters from Harvard with a dual in elem ed and law my resume might get plucked out of the 500 or so they'll probably get. But, having just an elem ed degree with 13 years as a third grade teacher at a private school, and having lived and worked in Tokyo for 5 years doesn't seem to be getting me noticed.

Would love to hear others' first time experiences. I'm sure it'll get better.
indogal

Post by indogal »

Yeah, that savings looks like nothing. I know Singapore can be expensive, but I have friends who work at other schools there and do pretty well financially.

I also though the savings potential listed for Saudi Aramco seemed really low on Search.

In regards to your question about working at SAS, I know it helps to know someone who works there (obviously) or to have experience working at another IASIS school.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, indogal. Yes, I'm sure knowing someone will get you noticed...or at least an interview.

I know I shouldn't but I'm just getting a bit discouraged. I'm sure (at least hope) things will kick into gear once I go to the job fair. I just feel like I'm spinning my wheels at this point.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

I'm going to echo sage advice that I heard from a recruiter from one of the big Asian schools after they turned me down (got to the 2nd interview) 2 years ago during my first Search fair run - "open your mind to schools that will give you a good experience and will later open doors to all kinds of possibilities." So that could mean going to an off the beaten path school that has a good rep - that's what I did and I feel like I learned A TON from my experience there which of course adds to my resume now that I am looking. Furthermore, it certainly raises interest from recruiters when you're willing to go to xyz.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, vettivette. I appreciate your advice.
National

Post by National »

@newchapter

Just wanted to let you know that it is very early in the recruiting season and you have lots of time to land a job. Recruiting is always nerve wracking and I know I always want to be done early. Also to echo what vett said -- you can't pin your hopes on specific schools. In the last recruitment cycle we were aiming for a specific region and ended in a completely different part of the world. We love our school and country and never would have picked it.

Having said that, you can get the coveted schools and locations if you're in the right place at the right time. I've worked at and have friends at some top schools and there are always teachers who don't meet the "high requirements" (many years teaching, masters, etc.). So don't be discouraged -- apply for your dream schools, but be realistic about the job hunt and include any schools you'd be willing to work at.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

Not many people get to take short cuts. Do a really good job back home, or at a less desirable intl school, and sooner or later you'll get a chance. Every school/location has trade-offs. No matter what, enjoy what you have.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, all, for your responses. I know I've done the best I can do here. I have a lot of experience at a very good private school, certification, degrees, professional development, although I'm not in a critical shortage area.

I'm sure once I'm 'seen' at the job fair things will take off for me.

:)
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Your not in a high needs area, and its still early in the recruitment season. Most ISs save elementary positions for teaching couples. Any left over elementary positions wont be fillled until thats done. Schools like SAS get thousands of applications not hundreds.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

That's what I figured, PsyGuy...that's why I didn't even bother to send SAS and other big schools a resume. I figure I'll try and sell myself at the job fair.
cdn

Post by cdn »

My wife and I sent out piles of resumes last year, and barely received any replies. We went to the London fair in January and we were very lucky. I think the benefit of going to the fairs is that recruiters want to hire someone. We were hired at a top school with only a couple of years experience. This was due to a combination first impressions, luck, our ability to sell ourselves on the spot, the fact that we are a couple, and the experience we did have fit the open positions.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

That's great, CDN. I know I present well and should be able to sell myself at the job fair. I'm not part of a teaching couple but I'm single with no dependents which, I hope, is the next best thing.

Did you have any interviews set up before the fair or did you just go and walk up to tables and get interviews that way?