Teaching couple, one cover letter or two?

number11

Teaching couple, one cover letter or two?

Post by number11 »

Just wondering if my husband and I should have one cover letter for both of us or two individual letters to be sent to schools? At a job fair we attended in the past we only had one but just curious what others think. I'm at the primary level and he's at middle/high school level.
sid

Post by sid »

One.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I'm with Sid. You recruit as a couple, one unit.
Often, for many reasons, this particular whole is greater than the sum of its parts. By that I mean that - if I am cynical - housing can be easier, administering your visas etc can be easier, and also the fact that there's the possibility of kids in the school and therefore skin in the game so to speak.
:)
cdn

Post by cdn »

One..and when you go to a fair, make sure you print it on good quality paper front and back. I recommend making it colorful (search ichiro on this forum). My wife and I did this for the January SA London fair, and we ended up having schools (very good ones) approach us despite us not applying to them, because of our "ichiro".
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

[quote="cdn"]One..and when you go to a fair, make sure you print it on good quality paper front and back. I recommend making it colorful (search ichiro on this forum). My wife and I did this for the January SA London fair, and we ended up having schools (very good ones) approach us despite us not applying to them, because of our "ichiro".[/quote]

Ok, I've been searching for this "ichiro" on the forum and apparently all of his posts have been deleted for whatever reason. My wife and I are a teaching couple looking to attend the Cambridge fair in Jan/Feb, and we're waiting for our references to go through to finalize our Search registration. In the meantime, I'm getting cover letters ready, etc., but I can't seem to find this advice that Ichiro gave, though I see many people giving him credit for ideas like sending physical copies directly to schools. Is there more to it than that? Are there color faux pas when it comes to color or are we just trying to be cutesy?

We're both elementary teachers - do we go for the full out rainbow? :)
cdn

Post by cdn »

Ours is pretty colorful. I honestly don't mind sharing what we did, but I don't want to post it here (it has our names on it as well as the names of some administrators). If you leave your e-mail I can share it with you.

Essentially, we made a very bright and colorful one that had a lot of big, bold lettering. It included several pictures of stuff we did in the classroom (The Daily 5 or classroom management techniques as some examples). We also threw on some quotes from reference letters we have.
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

[quote="cdn"]Ours is pretty colorful. I honestly don't mind sharing what we did, but I don't want to post it here (it has our names on it as well as the names of some administrators). If you leave your e-mail I can share it with you.[/quote]

Thanks, you can email it to: bellarex@gmail.com. I appreciate your willingness to share!
Bellarex

Post by Bellarex »

[deleted]
Last edited by Bellarex on Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kleikm

Post by kleikm »

[quote="cdn"]Ours is pretty colorful. I honestly don't mind sharing what we did, but I don't want to post it here (it has our names on it as well as the names of some administrators). If you leave your e-mail I can share it with you.

Essentially, we made a very bright and colorful one that had a lot of big, bold lettering. It included several pictures of stuff we did in the classroom (The Daily 5 or classroom management techniques as some examples). We also threw on some quotes from reference letters we have.[/quote]

CDN could you please email it to us as well? We have been reading and googling it as well,but so far
no luck. Thank you so much for your willingness to share. Our email is: kevininna@yahoo.com

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Alexandru

Post by Alexandru »

[quote="cdn"]Ours is pretty colorful. I honestly don't mind sharing what we did, but I don't want to post it here (it has our names on it as well as the names of some administrators). If you leave your e-mail I can share it with you.

Essentially, we made a very bright and colorful one that had a lot of big, bold lettering. It included several pictures of stuff we did in the classroom (The Daily 5 or classroom management techniques as some examples). We also threw on some quotes from reference letters we have.[/quote]

Can you send it to me, too? My email is coreyshea2@gmail.com

Thank you!
Danda

Post by Danda »

Me too. Email: ruskaii@hotmail.com
RandyBush

Post by RandyBush »

Teachermama

Post by Teachermama »

Could you please send it to me as well? I have always been curious about what these ichiros are and been stymied by the same deleted post problem.
Thanks!

Beckynjohn@earthlink.net
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

I disagree, I would provide one cover letter for each of you. Resumes move around and if yours gets separated because your in different schools or departments one person is not going to have a cover letter on their resume. Make it clear however that your a teaching couple in the first line of your cover letter. You dont use cover letters really at a job fair.

An ichiro isnt a person (well it is) but its a name given to an "alternative" resume used at a job fair to catch a recruiters attention, they are typically colorful and range from everything from flyers and CD's, business cards to such gimmicky things as great teacher coupons, the best ive seen was a whole magazine with different articles discussing the differing aspects of the teacher. It was done on slicks paper and center bound as well. Iciros are very short they highlight your strengths and hopefully motivate an admin/recruiter to read your traditional resume.