British Schools Hiring US Teachers?

teller

British Schools Hiring US Teachers?

Post by teller »

How restrictive are British schools in hiring US teachers? I've noticed a number of British schools stating they "prefer" to hire those with experience in the National Curriculum and DP. I have lots of DP experience but none in the National Curriculum. Mrs. Teller has elementary experience only in the US curriculum.

Ultimately, I suppose it comes down to the definition of "prefer." Any US teachers have any luck breaking into the British-based schools?
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

As an American who has ONLY worked in the British system (15 years now) I believe it comes down to the individual school AND the subject you teach. I'm in a "non-core" subject and my Senior School (7-13) dept. last year had a Brit, an Irish teacher, an Aussie, a Malaysian and me. The Primary teachers were mostly British, though. There ARE two Americans, though.

In my last school, it was 3 Brits and I was the first American to break into the dept. In the end, I think it comes down to your experience and how you present yourself at the interview in terms of teaching the curriculum the school is asking of you. Even if you don't teach it now, what will you bring to the school in terms of teaching what they do.
dover2013

Post by dover2013 »

It certainly comes down to the individual school and its attitude/preferences. In some countries it will come down to immigration regulations and a "British" school offering a British curriculum will find it tricky to get work permits/visas for non-Brits. But in many countries it's a non issue. Same can be said for American schools.

It's not impossible, and even the most British of British international schools employ other native English speakers from time to time. Again, the same can be said for the most American of American schools. If you see a job you are interested in, apply for it - you have nothing to lose.