fixing a mistake... advice needed

elizamina

fixing a mistake... advice needed

Post by elizamina »

I'm just going to jump right in with this.

This is our fifth year overseas, so this is not coming from the perspective of someone who hasn't done this for a while.

I really don't want to be overseas anymore. The country we're in is lovely. I like it here quite a bit. But I'm constantly stressed out, the work keeps piling on. I always feel stressed and tense.

I'm worried about my grandparents. I want to be around for however long they have left. And I want my child to have a closer relationship with family. I miss my family and friends. I have friends here, but I miss people who really, truly know me.

I wouldn't just quit mid-year and leave. That would be stupid. But there's a clause in our contract that allows for termination of employment with reasonable notice. And what I really want to do is sit down and negotiate out of the contract. Finish up the school year, but go home after that.

And I don't know what to do. I don't know how bad that would be career-wise. I love the idea of free preschool and a nanny for our child, but I don't know if that's worth being forever separated from the people we care about. I just don't know what to do.

Advice, please.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

I empathise.
I suggest the first thing you do is wait for the next holiday, have a few days rest and some good nights' sleep.
Then discuss this with the other half (if you have one.) Then have some nice long chats with your family - not necessarily angsty, just chatty.
Have family over to visit, book flights to take a trip home - have these things to look forward to.
Address the overwork and the homesickness as two separate issues. Talk to your line managers. If there is a way of alleviating the stress at work it may well give you the fortitude to cope with the rest of your contract.
If you have the rest of your year to do, try to do it. If you have two years to do, then talk to your admin.
In every school I have worked in, I have known of a person who, for whatever reason, has struggled, been open with the boss and has been released from their contract with good grace on both sides.
Having said that, try really hard not to make it seem as though you are about to do a runner. Discuss your feelings in a rational manner.
And if all else fails, have a good rant on the forum - we've all been there!!
sid

Post by sid »

It sounds as if you're nearing the end of your overseas adventure. You had a dream, you lived it, enjoyed it, and now you're building a new dream. Don't beat yourself up. You're allowed to go home.
She of the petite bottom has given good advice. Check that this isn't a temporary issue brought on by stress, access your support network, make a decision and make a plan.
No need to panic, no need to break contract. Even if you have 1.75 years left before you return home (or just .75), just setting up an official end date might make a huge difference in how you're feeling.