Do School Counselors need fluency in local language?

schoolcounselor

Do School Counselors need fluency in local language?

Post by schoolcounselor »

Specifically for Mexico, Latin America, South America. I am serious about landing a high school or middle school school counseling position for 2014-15 and wonder what my chances are without professional level fluency? Can anyone working in these countries testify to what their schools look for in hiring school counselors? I know many schools are "international" of "American", but the students & families are largely nationals.

I have studied/practiced Spanish and lived for up to 2 months several times in Mexico during my summer breaks, but my level is intermediate. Based on my past study experiences, I know I would progress quickly in immersion, working regularly with a teacher.

I have a Masters degree, state license, admin & teaching experience and am now in my 3rd year both post-grad school and working at a top private school (with a day & boarding program) as a high school level counselor. Single, late 30's and have a dog.

My dream would be to get a job in Mexico, but I am open to all Spanish speaking countries and will be attending AASSA this year.

Thanks!
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Agreed. I'm sure this varies from school to school. Spanish language would certainly seem to be a boon in that dept., but it doesn't seem to be a roadblock, at least in Mexico.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

I remember one posting last year that specifically required fluency in Spanish. However I think that is the exception, rather than the rule for international schools in Latin America.
Bule

Post by Bule »

Although it is always helpful to have a good knowledge of the local language, the vast majority of the better international schools in Latin America do not require fluent Spanish skills for counselors. However, the more bilingual schools (mostly 3rd tier) do prefer (and often require) their counselors to be bilingual. In the schools that do require bilingual Spanish skills, they often hire local clinical psychologists to fill their counselor positions.
schoolcounselor

Would you say this is true for college counselor positions as well? I am qualified and experienced in all domains of ASCA's model for comprehensive school counseling: College/Career, Personal/Social and Academic Support.

Anyone working as a school counselor currently, I would love to hear your thoughts!

vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Hi, I am a school counselor at an IB international school where the language of instruction is English. I do not need to speak the native language for my job - but I do utilize translators when needed. Speaking the native language of the country you're in does not seem to be a major requirement for recruiters.
schoolcounselor

Vette~

Thank-you! Would you mind sharing if you are also a college counselor, what country you are in and perhaps what your experiences have been in other countries you have worked?

When I look at the websites of many schools in Latin & South America, the counselor position is a local person...though I wonder if the size of the school makes a difference. Smaller schools may have only one person doing college and personal/social counseling.

Thanks again for your reply.
vettievette

Post by vettievette »

Hi - sure I'd love to discuss my post with you. I'd prefer to do it via email - what is your email address?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Depending on the makeup of the student population, an international school where the language of instruction is english is you dont need to be bilingual, if your at a school where the majority of students are locals your not going to be mush use if you cant communicate with students.
schoolcounselor

vettievette, you can message me at msmacintyre at y a h o o

Thanks!