North London Collegiate School Jeju

mollymillions

North London Collegiate School Jeju

Post by mollymillions »

I'm thinking about applying for a post here. If anyone has any info about the school or thoughts about living on the island that would be really helpful. I've got a large dog which I need to accommodate so any thoughts on that would also be helpful: if she'd be welcome or at least tolerated, easy to find places to walk her etc. (Unless it's something about Koreans eating dog, I'm alright for thoughts about that).
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi There!
I have friends teaching there at the moment. They are an experienced, British international school teaching couple.
I spoke with them recently and they are pretty happy there. They are both in primary.
It is no secret that it is virtually all Korean kids except for the teachers children, and it has a boarding section. Jeju itself is a holiday destination for Koreans so there is plenty on the web for you to look up.
Pay and conditions are generally very good. so although they say they work extremely hard they feel very fulfilled by their jobs.
The students are keen and motivated, and like many Korean kids do tons of extra classes and extra curriculars. The school has an amazing arts programme with a tremendous choir, and their sporting teams are very good indeed.
There is a sort of enclave of schools there, including Branksome and the school physical plant is very good with high standards of technology.
The curriculum is British with the IB Diploma.
The island of course, is going to be rather isolated. However, if you are an outdoorsy person then there will be much to do in a very pleasant, clean environment.
I suppose if you have kids of your own who are going to struggle with having all-Korean friends, or if you are quite keen on US curricula then this may not be the place for you. Remember, also, that it is relatively new so you will need to be ready to be part of the team that tweaks the systems and guidelines. Flexibility will be the order of the day! Finally, it's a boarding school, with all that that entails.
All in all, not a bad gig I'd say!
Good luck and do your research.
Cheery XXXXX
Cheery Littlebottom

Oh, the dog thing - absolutely no clue! Sorry! XXX
mollymillions

Post by mollymillions »

Thanks Cheery, that's really helpful. Lots of the information is tourist rather than resident so my concern was that it was a good place to visit, less so to stay. I'm in a city in Asia at the moment and I miss the great outdoors, that's what appeals to me about Jeju most at the moment but of course, the grass is always greener...
I'm not scared of a bit of hard work and I've done new schools before so I know what to expect on that score. I've got one child who is at nursery with pretty much all Chinese kids (even though we're not in China, just live in a Chinese neighbourhood) and I can't say it's been a problem for her. I've emailed the school about the dog because they provide accommodation but depending on what they have to say I'm pretty keen to apply.
grdwdgrrrl

Post by grdwdgrrrl »

Ok. Well, we interviewed there. They actually flew us to the school. This was about a year and a half ago so things may have changed. However, at the time, it was a long drive to the school and from the school to the nearest shop. Drive. Apartments nice, but very small. Buildings and classrooms were first class and there was a 1 to 1 iPad policy.
We have kids so, we were very concerned about the student body and their very ESL condition. We have been in Asia a long time and appreciate the second language, but at the time, about 90% of the students were local. The interview consisted of a demo class. We were not the only prospects on that 2 am flight. (Jeju is kind of a pain to get to from some places like HK) There were a bunch of us. After arriving we were taken to a place to rest but they forgot to make up our room, so we weren't able to get any rest before the interview. Anyhow, after all that, on the return flight, not one of the interviewees expressed any interested in working there. Plus, the school never ever followed up. We never heard from them again. Finally, it was overheard from the interviewers that they would not bring prospective candidates to Jeju again. Interviews would be given in London or Skype. Like I said, this was spring 2012, things may have changed.
canincm

Post by canincm »

I would suggest one of the schools in Busan or Seoul. Jeju is quite isolated- you will need a car, and the International Schools there are full of Korean kids. Korean educational culture leaves something to be desired, and when the whole parent base is thinking in a certain way, then things can be difficult.

I'm working in Seoul- there are a lot of dog friendly places, and a few schools with decent numbers of foreign kids.

THat being said, flights from Jeju to Seoul or Busan are very cheap- about 40-80 USD each way.
mollymillions

Post by mollymillions »

One day, I'll ask about a particular school and get nothing but positive information back and life will be simple!
Thank you though everyone; I appreciate all the insight.
turko87

Re: North London Collegiate School Jeju

Post by turko87 »

[quote="mollymillions"]I'm thinking about applying for a post here. If anyone has any info about the school or thoughts about living on the island that would be really helpful. I've got a large dog which I need to accommodate so any thoughts on that would also be helpful: if she'd be welcome or at least tolerated, easy to find places to walk her etc. (Unless it's something about Koreans eating dog, I'm alright for thoughts about that).[/quote]

I personally know several people living in Jeju and working at the schools there that have large dogs (labs). It's not a problem.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

Sorry if this is straying off topic but maybe someone can clarify something for me here.
From what I can see there are 3 international schools on Jeju (this one, Branksome and KIS). It seems that they are all within 10 minutes walk of each other - and therefore nearly 2 hours from Seogwipo city proper - can that be right? It seems an odd coincidence that out of a whole island, the 3 international schools would all be neighbours!
Thanks if anyone can shed light on that.
Cheery Littlebottom

I believe there is some sort of "Education City" and that they are co-located. :-)
hmmmm

Post by hmmmm »

All three schools are neighbors and are part of the larger Global Education City. The area is to be developed further to include more schools in the future as well as a college campus at some point.

Seogwipo is about 20 minutes away (not 2 hours) and the "city" Jeju-si is about 30 minutes away.
jessiejames

Post by jessiejames »

It's nearly two hours by public transport (1h 48 min from NLCJ, to be precise). I've been to Jeju before and had a scooter there but after years of living in cities and not needing a car, I wouldn't want to have to buy one to reach the nearest city unless absolutely necessary. Seems like it would be in this case.