St. Joseph's Institution International School in Singapore

senator

St. Joseph's Institution International School in Singapore

Post by senator »

Does anyone know anything? The salary and benefits look great according to their Search profile.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Did you google Lasallian Catholics? I should imagine it's one thing to be ok with a mild christian ethic, but it looks as though you need to be very much alongside the catholic faith to thrive there.

I have friends in 4 different schools in Singapore, and none of them has anything to say about St. Josephs! Seems like they pretty much keep their heads down and get on with it. As per the Search profile, having the school sign your tenancy agreement is a biggie so you are right about the benefits!

Personally, I would think twice about working there only because I am not particularly keen on religion and I am unsure about the effect on my kids. Of course, it may be a marvellous school which doesn't impose anything on anyone....I am just a little wary, that's all. If you look at the school values then Spirituality comes first, and there is a big mention of prayer.....
yolo

Re: St. Joseph's Institution International School in Singapo

Post by yolo »

Any updated info about this school? Students? Work/life balance? Housing?
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

They are a very academic school with highly motivated and over-achieving kids. Some of them go on to score the world's highest mark on the iGCSE exams. Having said that, you need to consistently deliver strong results both on IB and iGCSE exams. They don't take excuses and neither do parents.

However, the compensation and personal benefits are no match to the world's most expensive city, Singapore. Your salary will take a big hit when it comes to hospital visits as the health insurance is minimal.

Teaching at any of the second-rung schools in Singapore is same as teaching in Paris, economically speaking.

UWCSEA (not for the weak-minded / hearted), Tanglin Trust, and Singapore American offer a better deal.
migratingbird

Post by migratingbird »

I visited the Primary and interviewed for a job there a few years ago. I liked the school, and really liked the Principal (who has since moved on). As it happened, the lady who's job I was interviewing for changed her mind, and so there was no position. But I think I'd have been happy there. I didn't feel the religion coming through too strongly, but then I was only there for a day. While we're on the subject of Singapore, any updated information on Nexus? Any reviews on the paid site are for before it was taken over.