Cracking a first tier school - how did you do it?

tangchao

Cracking a first tier school - how did you do it?

Post by tangchao »

I have been on the international circuit now for five years and have had little luck getting a break in a first tier school. So far my experience has been limited to start-up IB schools. So, to those teachers who have had success in cracking the first tier, please let me know how you did it.

I am going to have one more go at the Search and my first go at the AASSA fair this coming season. If unsuccessful, I shall consider going back to my home system.

A bit of background may be of help: I have ten years' experience teaching Humanities and Social Science subjects (including History, Junior Geo and recently, Economics). I have an undergrad in Social Sciences and a Bachelor in Education. I have been both an MYPC and a DPC, though both in start-up schools.

I'm having one last go at it. Any advice would be very much appreciated.
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

Admin connections who were impressed by:
-our work ethic
-positive attitude
-teaching skill

I am not trying to be egotistical. You simply have to make a good impression on those who count. Before you all yell "suck up", another way of putting it is being a good employee and then having well connected supervisors.

It does not just have to be supervisors,. If you have colleagues who perceive you as good to work with and they get the break first, they can advocate for you. Never burn bridges and network like crazy.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

One factor that rarely gets mentioned on these boards and is being in the right place at the right time. Whether its being at the right job fair, joining the right line once you're there etc, alot of it is just plain good fortune. I know this was true in my case.

Now the idea is to set yourself up so once you are in that position you can sell yourself, and it sounds like you have done that. I work at what would be considered a Top Tier school and we have had Social Study teachers with a lot less experience hired here.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

I think it is safe to say that, at least for the "common" teaching positions such as elementary or high school history, we get more than fifty applications from great teachers with proper experience, training, credentials, etc... Any of these teachers would probably do a great job in the classroom. Consequently, experience in an IB classroom is a very small factor in my director's decision to interview someone.

Every teacher we hire has done something else extraordinary in their lives in addition to being a great teacher. It could be athletics, in service to others, art, music, the business world, etc... In other words they bring something else to the table that makes them special, leaders, and exciting to have in our community. This "something else" may not even translate to the classroom or after school activities, but simply shows a person who embraces some creative or demanding aspect of life.

Oh, and having a current faculty member advocating for you is of great help too.
jenfam

Post by jenfam »

@pikefish, sounds like you have some interesting perspectives. I'm a teacher that also runs a small business and has had some success with art commissions and exhibitions. So, you're saying, that is something recruiters look for?!
albert49

Post by albert49 »

I got my first break into a first tier school because I worked with someone who had been at that school previously, knew the school and knew my work. He paved the way.

Now, as a recruiter, I take very seriously information I receive from teachers. When I have a teacher tell me they know someone who would be a benefit to our school, I look very seriously at them. Personal connections go a long way.