in demand certifications and IB experience

jenfam

in demand certifications and IB experience

Post by jenfam »

Hey,

I am certified k-9 in the States with endorsements in bilingual education, middle grades, art, social sciences, Spanish and gifted and talented. I have 16 years of elementary experience and have had two international contracts (though I had to break one after the first year due to health issues). I read someone write that he had "the in demand certifications and IB experience" and I thought "oh shit!" I don't have that! So, what are the "in demand certifications?"

Thanks!
gengrant

Post by gengrant »

In-demand areas are typically your higher level maths and sciences. Easy to fill positions (Elementary, Physical Education, English/Language Arts) provide recruiters the opportunity to focus on the hard-to-fill openings first, so often those in the other areas don't get contracts at the early fairs. Physics and Calculus teachers get snapped up (usually) in Jan and early Feb.
sid

Post by sid »

No, you don't have the 'in demand' areas, but there are always jobs in all areas. You'll be competing against a bigger pool of applicants, that's all.

You mention 2 overseas experiences, one cut short. How long was the other?
You'll have decent chances scoring interviews if it was 4 years or more. If it was only 2, recruiters will wonder whether you will stay long enough to really contribute to the school.
jenfam

Post by jenfam »

hmm....Ok, thanks. I had a one year contract at a school in Japan, and that was the total length of the contract. They asked me to renew, but I didn't. Then I had a 2 year contract that I only stayed a year for. That's it. So now schools are looking for four years international experience?! Ouch. How do you get it if you don't have it?!
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

Just get a math certification even though you suck at it. Why should the next generation be any better at it......
sid

Post by sid »

It's not that schools have a rule or even expectation about a 4 year stint. But recruiters do look at past track record as a predictor of future stints. You've had 2 short stints, both less than the typical minimum of 2. And recruiters really want teachers who seem likely to settle in for a while. Your track record suggests you may not.
What to do? Address the issue. Focus on the fact (if it is one), that you are looking for a long-term stay in your next school. Discuss your desire for stability. Etc.
And don't lie. If you really just want one more year abroad, if you're not actually looking to settle down abroad, then look for a one-year gig in a lesser school. And be aware - one more short stint (anything less than 4 years, in my opinion), and you won't be able to find anyone willing to take you. It'll be tricky now, and you might well have to settle for something less than top tier.
sid

Post by sid »

You could always sign up with a long-term sub agency if you're after something shorter than a two-year initial contract with expectations to renew. You'll be placed wherever for 3 months, 6 months, whatever, than be free to go on to a new assignment. I've known a few people who loved this route. And if you find a school/location that really suits you, there's a chance you could find a permanent position there, since schools are more likely to hire people they already know.
jenfam

Post by jenfam »

International subbing?! Sounds interesting. How do I find out more about that?