Do administrators need 'real world' experience...

Mick Travis

Do administrators need 'real world' experience...

Post by Mick Travis »

To do their jobs properly?

I came into teaching relatively late (mid 30s) having worked in finance and marketing. One thing that I've noticed is that by comparison the international teaching profession suffers from a large number of administrators who are unprofessional and lack leadership/people skills.

Such administrators invariably have the Masters, the Doctorates, to qualify them for their roles. But one thing that I've noticed is that all the bad ones, in my experience, have never worked outside a school. The only head I worked under who had good leadership and people skills had previously worked in the business world.

So I say this to those who aspire to become administrators. While you are taking your year out to get a qualification in school leadership, why not spend a couple of months on placement in a different working environment, see how the business is run, the staff are managed. It will give you valuable perspective.
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

and have some meaningful classroom experience as well.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Some people can step into their role / job with zero experience and flourish. Just as some people with tons of experience can step into a job / role and tail spin.

Everyone is different, there are no "set" rules. Sure though, having real world experience and experience in general is better than not.