Advice and guidance appreciated!

newchapter

Advice and guidance appreciated!

Post by newchapter »

Excited to finally be posting on this site. As my subject says...any advice and guidance you can give me is greatly appreciated. A little about myself:

I am an older female - 49...but present as young/blonde/petite and fit...lol...sounds like a dating site ad but I lived and traveled in Asia, and while you wouldn't dream of that coming up in an interview in the US, I know that is what goes on internationally.

Single with no dependents - I do have a daughter but she is in University so wouldn't be coming with me....maybe for a visit

Lived in Japan (years ago in the 90s) for 4 1/2 years as an ESL teacher - conversation schools...that deal...

Am now (and have been for awhile) a certified elementary teacher - have taught at a private NAIS school for the past 11 years...plus 1 long term sub year...and 2 years in public.

Teaching at a private school my certification has expired but I am in the process of renewing it...easy and no problem. My certificate says: Elementary 1-6 and Middle School.

I'm good with technology and have had recent PD in Differentiation and some of the other latest buzz...

So...I know...elementary...so competitive...but there are a lot of little kids that go to school so I'm sure I at least have a chance.

Of course, like most, I want a good school...decent working and living conditions...decent pay...I'm frugal and don't have many debts here at home so I should and would like to be able to save something.

Being single and female I don't want to feel threatened...having traveled abroad I know how the media portrays places to be more dangerous than they are, but the current political climate in the ME...well...many of you probably know better so please give me some advice...

I'd go back to Japan but I hear it's really difficult to get a job there...Singapore, India, Argentina, South Africa? Is there any place in Europe worth pursuing? I hear you can't eat there...the salaries are so low...

Oh...I've signed up with Search Associates so am in that process of getting everything together.

Eagerly awaiting your suggestions and advice!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Really after renewing all you gotta do is build your list of prospective countries/cities/schools. Sign up with the agencies, attend some fairs and take the best job you can get.

Dont want to make things more complicated than they are or stress for no reason. Obviously you might not get your fist choices but if you are flexible you should be able to secure employment.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, Calipro.

I'm still waiting for some of my references to post at SA so I do not have access to their database yet. I'm sure once that happens I'll have a better idea of what's actually available to me.

I just enjoy reading this blog and 'hearing' everyone's opinions about and schools and countries...I've seen some heated debates on here!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Twimih,

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate you taking the time to write. Was just wondering...did you have other offers and this was the best one? How did you make that final 'sign-on-the-dotted-line' decision?

Also, I can't tell from your name if you're male or female...you don't have to say but was wondering how you feel as a woman (if you are one...lol) in the ME.

Thanks again!
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Thanks, again! I hope everything works out for you.

Would love to hear from others...