TeacherReady Graduates? What are your job prospects?

anthonyteacher

TeacherReady Graduates? What are your job prospects?

Post by anthonyteacher »

Hello,

I have been doing research on TeacherReady, an online alt. certificate. I have noticed a number of people on this board said that they were doing it. I am interested to know if they finished and how their job prospects look, abroad or at home.

The reason I ask is that, while it seems to be a reputable and accredited program, I don't understand how one can be hireable if they have only a certificate and no actual background courses in the subject they plan to teach.

I am interested in elementary education. However, I have no background in that particular subject. However, if I study enough I could pass the test and get the full professional Florida teaching certificate. It seems odd.

I do have a background in TESOL (I have an MA) so I could probably easily get the ESL certificate, but I would like to broaden my teaching range.

Anyway, I really hope some TeacherReady graduates respond!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

I am almost finished with the program.

There are many teachers that are teaching in schools around the world that didnt go through the conventional method (education degree and/or subject area background).

They are able to teach and get a license by completing the necessary course work and passing numerous tests. One of which is your subject area. The same one regular education majors take.

Obviously it is better to go the conventional route and have a education degree in your subject area but it is not a huge deal if not.

Experience and references is what is most important. Education degree or not.
Tyshine

Post by Tyshine »

I first heard about this program through another public teacher in Korea. They completed the program while doing observations at their Korean public school. I thought that would we be a nice and easy way to get a certificate. However, as I thought about it more I realized what a waste of time that would be. It would eventually be relieved how I obtained my certificate, and I wouldn't have the best of references.

I still wanted to be an International Schools, but couldn't afford the traditional route of education. Instead I found an IB school to observe at in the morning while I work at a Hagwon at night. I know I won't be as viable as a candidate with experience, but at least I will some experience at an IB school.

I think Teacher Ready depends on the individual. I think a lot of people look at it as an easy way out of ESL, but for others it can be the beginning of a teaching career.
Cherrypop

Post by Cherrypop »

I'll be finished with the program in a few months. With Florida certification, you only have to pass a test in the subject area you plan on teaching to teach that subject. That's not just a rule with Florida, but many states have that option. I'm currently working as a Teachers aide in an IB school. A teacher is retireing mid year from a 1st grade classroom and it has already been said several times by other teachers and hinted at by the principal that I could possibly take on her position. It's a great alternative option for people, fast to finish, and easily done online.
antitravolta

Post by antitravolta »

I did the TeacherReady program a few years back. I finished my fourth year of teaching back in the States and am now beginning my first post overseas. From my experience, they were what they said they were. The classes were pretty easy, they got me a decent internship, and I was hired right after graduating, which is all you're hoping for. I have no complaints.
anthonyteacher

Post by anthonyteacher »

Thanks for the responses. My goal with this would be to work at an international school but have the option to work back in the states as well. I have 2 international schools nearby and can likely train at them, so I suppose that is a benefit.

Did any of you have a background in your subject area already?

With 2 years of efl elementary experience, 4 years of private tutoring, an MA TESOL, (and field experience at an IS if I start the program), how competitive would I look?
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

None of that is gonna really matter imo Gonna be a newb. The lowest kind of newb eg no experience post certification & no education degree.

Not the end of the world tho. Just be really flexible in your job search and you should be ok. Then after that first contract you will have 2 years exp and hopefully good references.

No need to stress yourself over something you cant control.

The only way for you to be even remotely competitive starting out is if you had a license in secondary math or science.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that you can only be endorsed in subjects that 1. Are directly related to your degree or 2. An area that you have 18+ credits in. So, depending on what your BA and MA are in, that would determine which subjects you're eligible for. Sounds like you would be a shoe-in for a ESOL endorsement though.

I only mention this because my husband and I recently ran into this issue through our TeacherReady course, as we signed up for our exams. I have a degree in Maths but wanted to add a computing endorsement since my professional background is in IT. I was declared ineligible for secondary computing due to not having enough college coursework in the subject, but eligible for secondary maths on the basis of having a B.S. in Mathematics.

Again, I could be wrong, but it might be worth checking into.
Cherrypop

Post by Cherrypop »

Marieh,

It will declare you inelligible if you don't have the credits right now, but once you finish the TeacherReady program and complete the subject area tests you are interested in, you will be elligible to teach it. I asked Dr. Miller this exact question back in Feb. when I signed up for the program and that is what she told me.
marieh

Post by marieh »

Good to know, thanks!