advice with lack of teaching certificate

angelist

advice with lack of teaching certificate

Post by angelist »

Hello,

I would like to pose some questions on behalf of a friend. My friend has a B.A. in Mathematics and and M.A. in Economics. Has been teaching in a reputable IBDP school as an IB teacher for both subjects in her own country for 6 years. Yet, she doesn't have a teaching certificate. In her country, not having a teaching certificate but having a masters degree also makes her eligible for teaching. Now she wants to apply for IB schools worldwide.

The questions are;

1. Would her not having a teaching certificate decrease her marketability?
2. If she needs to get a teaching certificate, could she teach Economics with a Math teaching certificate or does she need another one?
3. Would the years she taught before getting the certificate be counted as part of her experience by international schools?

Thank you so much for your time!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

They need to be certified (generally)

Years prior to certification do not count (generally)

There are cheap fast alternative certification programs online
interteach

Post by interteach »

Many international schools, from the best to the worst, will gladly consider a teacher with a strong master's, solid previous experience and positive recommendations.

It may be that some schools will pass and you may want to start an online certification to clear any hurdles, but I wouldn't let lack of certification stop you if you have a track record of being a strong teacher.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

@Calipro

What would you consider a cheap online certification option and can you suggest a good one?

Thanks,
angelist

Post by angelist »

Thanks for your answers. And how about the second question:

If she needs to get a teaching certificate, could she teach Economics with a Math teaching certificate or does she need another one? Or would just a general teaching certificate be ok?

@Calipro

I'd like to ask the same thing as Higgsboson: Any suggestions for online certification options?

Thanks again!
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

teacherready.org
angelist

Post by angelist »

@ Calipro
Thank you.
sid

Post by sid »

Generally, if you're certified, you can teach any course the school allows you to teach.
Some of the more finicky countries may limit you to teaching only within your area, but most don't. They just want to see the certificate, and the rest is up to the school.
angelist

Post by angelist »

@Sid

Thank you.