young family off compound in Jeddah- difficult or mad ?

Eddie Rincon

young family off compound in Jeddah- difficult or mad ?

Post by Eddie Rincon »

Hi all,

I have two offers. One is ADEC in ABu Dhabi but I am leaning towards the other in Jeddah. This is to save more money which is the whole point of going to the ME for us.

The difficult part for me is that I am told we would be living off compound near the school in downtown Jeddah. Our kids will be 2 and a new born infant.

Will my wife and kids standard of living be bearable? Will they be isolated? Can they go out or will they need some kind of chaperone? Can we get a nanny/ helper for a reasonable price? Should I take them there with me at all?

I will be going ahead and they would not be able to join me for two months anyway but am I being overly worried? I appreciate any help I can get with these questions.
scribe

Post by scribe »

Advice from someone who has 9 years of varied experience in the ME? Go to Abu Dhabi - there it doesn't matter if one lives on a compound or not. Life outside a compound in KSA is extremely difficult. Your wife won't be able to go outside without covering, there will be little for her or the children to do. Life on a compound would offer her and the children recreational and social opportunities, a quality of life issue.
When living on compound in Jeddah, we had a colleague who lived off compound stay in our home and care for our children while we traveled; she cried when she had to leave as it was the first time in a year that her own four year old had been able to freely play outside.
I would not recommend you condsider it - and maintaining two separate households would eat up any extra in money you might earn by going there.
Eddie Rincon

Post by Eddie Rincon »

Thanks for the reply.

I am being told that I will save at least 30k euro by tutoring a couple of times a week. That's a big carrot for us. Perhaps it's clouding my better judgement.

How much would someone save in Abu Dhabi (probably Al Ain) on about 3,300 Euros a month with the Bonus, Healthcare, flights , apartment?

My family could come and try it for a while. We wouldn't have to pay rent elsewhere if my wife and kids stayed in either of our home countries.
scribe

Post by scribe »

It's impossible to speculate as to what you could save without knowing your salary - the amount people make tutoring always seems to turn out to be hyperbole. One situation that seemed intriguing to teachers in Jeddah was the opportunity to tutor royals for fat fees, yet those situations never quite lasted - teachers tired of the constantly changing arrangements or the students tired of the teachers or the fees simply didn't get paid in a very timely matter. Be wary of claims that seem too good to be true, there is a reason for that. Saving money obviously depends on your life style and spending habits. If your housing is paid, then think what you currently spend on food, clothing, utilities, phone, internet, and car - (you will really want a car with a family, no fun walking anywhere in 40 degree heat) - and add a bit more, as things tend to run a little higher as it's all imported, then subtract from your salary. First year is always a bit more expensive as you're making a home - third year is the 'gravy' year when it seems easy to save.
You mention the option of your family living elsewhere with extended family and you going to work in the ME. One person can get by on far less than a family (although wouldn't money have to be sent home to them?) and that solo person wouldn't mind tutoring a great deal more to fill the hours, so the savings would be greater. Certainly the Gulf area is filled with lots of lonely people from all over the world doing the same, working and sending their money home and living for their vacations when they get to travel home - but one wonders, at what cost to their emotional well being and their family's well being? How much does it cost to miss a year or two of a child's life - do the earnings offset that?
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Eddie,

living in the local community, for western expats, is a hard slog in Saudi. Your housing won't be nice. No real access to playgrounds, swimming pools, etc. Your wife will NOT like it with the heat and humidity and having to get everything done herself - YOU will be working when that light bulb burns out or the stove catches on fire...

They will definitely be isolated compared to living on a compound. I am also sure the school you are going to is not a real expat school - there are only three schools in Jeddah I would even remotely consider....Jeddah Prep (Last choice) Conti (The British School) first choice) and the American School (strong second choice).

If you are going to one of those, I am shocked you are going as a live off compound? Or is it that you are trying to save money and asked about a housing allowance, trying to pocket the difference. Do NOT do it. And tutoring - where will those students who will pay you bucketloads of money be coming from?

My advice? As someone who has been in Saudi for years....go to Abu Dhabi. Your wife and kids will thank you. PS You might even be able to tutor there...
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

And as for tutoring a couple of times a week and making 30K euro?

I tutored twice a week, 2 hours each time, making 300 riyals an hour (the upper end of the payscale - you likely won't get that). That was 1200 riyals a week. Breaks I did not tutor. So...I drove one hour to get there, tutored two hours, and drove one hour home. Traffic in Saudi is very heavy and hard to get around in, by personal car or taxi.

So...4800 riyals a month, x 10 months = 48000 riyals. A nice sum, but 30K Euro? Someone is pulling the wool over your eyes to get you there.

Understand, also, once you are there you CAN'T get out if your employer doesn't want you to get out. Just telling you the reality of some people...
lucygoose

Post by lucygoose »

Don't do it. Any school here that would house you off compound would be crap anyway, your wife and kids will be a prisoner in your tiny, sub standard apartment (which is all you will be able to afford if you're working at the type of school that would house a westerner off compound.)

Yes, you will be able to hire daily help but it will technically be illegal since you are not sponsoring them yourself. Especially living off compound your family will be a novelty and all eyes will be on you.

There are very good reasons that 99% of expats live on compounds in KSA, safety is one of them. The US consulate in Jeddah was attacked in 2004 and it was considered a "non-accompanied post" for diplomatic employees until recently. There is no shortage of Saudis who believe that non-Muslims have no business being here.

If I were you, I would either go to Abu Dhabi or find a decent school with a decent wage (then tutoring can be the icing on the cake if you want) and on-compound housing in Saudi. Good luck to you and your family whatever you decide.