Question for a recruiter...hopefully Walter

VA75

Question for a recruiter...hopefully Walter

Post by VA75 »

I have taught overseas twice- three years in Eastern Europe and 4 years with my husband in the UK.
Our last experience in the UK was amazing, but after working with many military and state department high schoolers who had been "dragged around" by their parents I determined that it would be best for my family to make the decision to go overseas again as a unit.
I am well aware of TCK issues -the book is like my Bible when I work with transient students, so I know that later in life they will learn from their experiences etc. etc. BUT.... I would rather have my kids invested in our experience rather than being dragged along.
So here is my question: would it put a school off if we asked to be interviewed on their own campus? We have a limited list of schools in Asia (two actually) where we want to go because we are looking at high tier schools with a Christian ethos. The two schools we are interested in post their vacancies in October. Would it be out of line to ask for an interview at their school in say November if some of their postings match our qualifications? I know that an initial Skype to determine real interest would be prudent as a first step.
I know this is a financial investment on our part, but it is one we are willing to make since we are looking to stay at the school hopefully long term.
Walter- - I would certainly value your feedback on this. I left out a lot of details so that I could cut to the chase, but could answer questions if necessary.
Thank you!!
Walter

Dear VA 75

Post by Walter »

More and more schools are recruiting this way in order to limit the time and money they have to spend at conferences. I get back to my office next week, and I expect there will already be a couple of contacts from possible candidates.
If I were you, I wouldn't wait until October to indicate your interest in those schools on your target list. The challenge is to get your e mail and resume read by the principal or school head - otherwise you are likely to get a form reply from the Personnel Department. If you have a friend working in the school already, then use the contact to take in a hard copy of your resume to the appropriate administrator. If you don't have an inside contact, try to find the direct e address of the administrator. Then you should find out when school starts and send the e mail maybe two or three weeks after that - so that the initial rush has calmed down a bit. Make it clear that School X is your first choice, and for that reason you are prepared to visit at your own expense at a convenient time in the first semester. If your luck is in...who knows?
VA75

Thank you!

Post by VA75 »

Thank you, Walter! I will act upon your advice.
I appreciate your response and the time that you invest into this forum.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

You might also want to be careful as applying from the country of the school can sometimes get you hired as a local hire. Not saying it will, but I have heard some horror stories about this...
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

More and more teachers are NOT flying across the glove to attend personal interviews.

Onsite interviews for OSHs are not very popular. The issue is that you typivally have to arrange the interview a month in advance, during the school year it might be hard to keep or predict that schedule in advance requiring a canceling or rescheduled interview. A school is more open to onsite interviews for local hires, who can be scheduled a few days or weeks in advance when a schedule is more stable. Onsite interviews also tend to be longer closer to two hours, since you have the school tour, and the sales pitch.
What would really be gained by an onsite interview over a Skype interview?Schools do have multiple rounds of interviews but they do that when they have a short list for a firm position and they have other candidates. Flying out for a meet and greet is just an expensive, time consuming introduction. You would get a better value for your money by going to the fair your two target schools are attending. In that environment the school is at least in a position to make an offer.
Showing up at a school isnt going to make a vacancy appear if there isnt one. Lastly, you have a recency effect issue, the school is still going to go to the fair if they are planing on doing so and interviewing in November without an offer is going to date your impression by several months and a holiday by the time the school gets to the fair, and has fresh impressions of candidates it just met.

Admins and recruiters are different though, I would cultivate some contacts at these two schools and see what someone on the ground would say. The admin might be impressed by such a motivated candidate who is enthusiastic not in just a job but in their school.

On the related issue, more schools are going to Skype interviews, but those schools are middle and lower tier schools. Its those schools that are driving the online interview process. The reason being they hate competing at fairs with higher tier or more desirable regions. A third tier bilingual school in Japan will get more attention and candidates lined up at sign up then a upper tier school in an undesirable place like the ME. These schools dont like competing with the glamorous locations.
ChoirGuy

Post by ChoirGuy »

I know this is probably madness, but I'm replying to PsyGuy here....

the question of what the value of an onsite interview vs. a SkyPE interview is one I can actually vouchsafe for. I can't say whether more value is placed on these by the school itself, but for me, it was exactly what sold me on a previous school where I taught. My 5 hours onsite made all the difference in the world, as it re-assured me that the school was a place I wanted to be. Was it because the school put on a "dog and pony show" for me? I don't think so (though it confirmed what I thought I already knew about the place). During a SkyPE interview for my last recruiting season, I actually turned down an offer (for various reasons), but what's to say that an onsite interview wouldn't have changed my mind?

I guess I'm saying that if you're willing (and able) to make a trip to a school with which you are seriously interested, it helps YOU, and I don't think anyone would have you over if they weren't serious about considering you.

OR, administrators, am I being naive here? Would you interview a "long-shot" just because they happened to say they were willing to come to you?
Walter

ChoirGuy

Post by Walter »

You're right. Replying to Dave Jaw puts me in mind of the King Lear line: "That way madness lies."
Despite what he says though (and everything is despite what he says), more and more top flight schools are doing more and more recruiting before the fairs, and a lot of that happens through campus visits by candidates who have strong pedigrees and are specifically interested in certain schools. Often, they have recommendations from teachers already in the school.
I am confident that good schools wouldn't think of encouraging such teachers to visit if: i) there weren't jobs available and ii) the resume and references didn't indicate that the candidates were the right fit. When I get these requests to visit and interview, I am clear that there are no guarantees of a job at the end of the process, but I wouldn't make the invitation if I thought the odds were worse than 50/50.
For the candidates, the chance to visit the school and talk to other teachers, see the students and get a flavour of the location really helps them.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi there
I must admit, in 4 international schools and as a teacher in (two) shortage subjects, I have never had to go to a fair. My first job I stumbled into in late February and interviewed in London (I was living in Kent at the time so it was only a short train ride), the next we did interviews on the phone (too early for skype!) but went to the Washington fair to sign - basically a 4 day holiday. The next two, strictly word of mouth.
I get the feeling these days that breaking into IS's may take a trip to the fairs, but if you are well-prepared and sign up to everything early, do all the usual net working and get the requisite experience, fairs become a thing of the past.
These days, anyone who does not do their research is headed towards expensive and disappointing experiences. There is so much information out there if one takes the trouble to look.
I say, research, research, research and communicate!
Good luck!
danny514

Post by danny514 »

Last January, I had a Skype interview for a school located in a country where I would be passing through on holiday the following week. The principal invited me in for a second, on-site interview where I also gave a demo class, and soon after I was offered a position. So on-site interviews certainly do happen. Perhaps you could mention that you have already made travel plans to visit Country X and you are available should they decide to interview you in person, and if the school is interested in you they will surely let you know!
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Actually, I just remembered something else. We were also heading out on holiday (planning our beach wedding as I recall!) and had a stopover in the same city that our potential director used to work in. He asked the primary principal and head of science of his past school to interview us during this stopover. We met up and had a great lunch together. Not only did they interview us, but were very happy to speak about the director we were going to work for.
You'd have to be a pretty damn good director to ask such a favour of previous staff, and their willingness to do our interview and their high opinion of him spoke volumes.
We got the job and I'd work for that director again in a heartbeat.
So, there are many routes to a job I suppose, and not all of them conventional!