set myself up for international teaching? advice needed!!

porter1

set myself up for international teaching? advice needed!!

Post by porter1 »

Hello,

I am very interested in international teaching, but from being burned in past pursuits, I want to set myself up right for a career in teaching.
I have a BA in a social science and many biology and chemistry credits.
Therefore, I wanted to teach secondary chemistry/biology.

My questions are:

1. Which science is most in demand for hiring and to what ranking?
A. biology, chemistry, physics, math

2. It is much easier to finish the biochemistry degree. Is this considered less desirable than having a degree in the specific subject, e.g. biology or chemistry? (I was hoping that a degree in biochemistry would make me marketable to teach both biology and chemistry?)

3. What additional efforts can a budding teacher applicant develop to make her resume more marketable, e.g. coaching certificate, special ed, etc?
A. What part-time jobs or volunteering may be helpful, such as Boys
and Girls Club, tutoring, etc.

4. In some states, it is rather easy to earn certification, e.g. a Praxis test. Other states require 30 hours in the subject. How much of a benefit would it be for a prospective teacher to certify herself in many subjects, even ones she does not hold a degree in? How important is it to have a degree in one's teachable subject?
A. To finish a chemistry or biochemistry degree, I would have to commit another year and 34 credits and then complete an accelerated masters in education.
As I am in my early thirties, I would rather just get the masters in education and start teaching. How much of an advantage would obtaining a biochemistry or chemistry BA be in relation to finding work and building a long-term, viable international teaching career?

5. If after several years of teaching overseas, how difficult would it be to transition to a public school stateside? What factors would might I run into in the context of ageism, years of experience, etc.?

Thank you very much. It is difficult to get this information. Schools of education are not very knowledgeable (busy doing research) and k-12 personnel are too busy actually teaching!
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Whatever science a school needs to fill, is what is in demand. Looking at broad general demand based on courses taken and the base of the candidate pool for single subjects for highest demand to lowest:

1) Math
2) Physics
3) Chemistry
4) Biology
5) ENS (Environmental Systems and Society)

Teacher availability is a far more stronger predicting factor then student demand. Many more students take Biology and ENS then Physics and Chemistry, but there are many more teachers in those subjects. Math is still the highest demand since the number of qualified teachers is amongst the lowest and every curriculum requires mathematics.
In ISs secondary teachers are expected to be qualified for grades 6-12 regardless of their assignment, and many of these positions are paired positions with a combination of the above. ENS/Biology, Physics/Math, Physics/Chemistry, etc.

What makes you marketable in IE isnt your degree, its teaching experience and experience in specific curriculums. When looking at an entry level teacher without experience the degree becomes more important, because there is less to base a hiring decision on, in this case a degree or more accurately a major reassures a recruiter/admin that you at least know your subject. A degree in BioChemistry is no more going to qualify you then a degree in chemistry with a minor in Bio, or a degree in bio with a minor in chemistry. A minor in both and a major in something else would be just as marketable. This is because the bar to IT is 2 years classroom experience which gives you time to demonstrate that you can transfer your knowledge to the students successfully. There are people with advance degrees who make great scientists but couldnt teach to save their lives. The content level of IGCSE/DIP/AP is at the college freshman level.
A minor issue is that if you stay in IE as a career and you go into IB (which you should, because IB is everything), you need a degree in your field to be an examiner. My experience has been that BioChemistry satisfies neither, or both depending on who is reviewing your application at the time.

Recruiters only care what you bring to the classroom, activities like youth volunteering, scouting dont have value. What do they show, you work well with kids? Your classroom experience shows you can work with kids. These experiences dont demonstrate that you can TEACH.
Schools value extracurricular experience such as coaching, but its a minor factor. If you do have coaching experience of other such activities then of course list them and develop them, but not at the cost of classroom/school experiences.
Special population endorsements such as SPED, ESOL, G&T are valuable, even if you dont teach with those populations exclusively.
Schools generally only look at classroom experience and related in school activities, post certification.

As discussed before what matters is classroom teaching experience, thats whats marketable. Lower tier schools however will take someone with a certification without a background, and then building experience in that subject can after time make you marketable outside your expertise.

I have 29 teaching certifications, I hold the record in my state. Certification is like a pie. A recruiter/admin sees one teacher and one pie. When they see you have 20 certifications, they see one pie with a lot of VERY SMALL slices. They think that means your such a broad generalist that your not really an expert at anything. It is very very difficult to convince them that your really one teacher bringing 20 pies. Their position is that a test doesnt equal a degree, a major, or even a minor in the subject, and they are right. I am certified in subjects I couldnt possibly teach. Im certified in Dance, but all my expertise is conceptual and theory, I couldnt actually perform or teach dance steps.
The closer subjects are linked the easier the link in expertise. If you have a background in computers, its not a far stretch for you to demonstrate your qualified in mathematics. Common pairings are Literature/Humanities, Math/Science, Drama/Music, PE/Health, etc.
Once you exceed 4 certifications (outside special population certifications) recruiters/admins begin to think your more of a generalist whos not an expert in anything particular.

Your best bet is to skip the school and get into the classroom. Classroom teaching experience is far more valuable and marketable then more education. Doing the M.Ed part time while in the classroom would accomplish both goals in the same time. Teaching science in a classroom is going to be FAR more marketable then some extra credits or a degree on a transcript.

I have been out of the states for a decade, I couldnt go back to a public school environment. I havent kept up on regional laws regarding special populations, havent kept up on state curriculum and assessment. Teaching in an IS is basically teaching in a private school with an international or national curriculum. I could go back to that probabley, but private school education is just like a public school position with less money, unless your at an elite prep school.
If your the other side of 50 you need to be where your happy or be into administration. After 50 it becomes VERY difficult for teachers to get new positions in the classroom.
porter1

thank you

Post by porter1 »

Thank you for your detailed response, Psyguy. I'm surprised no one else took the time to respond to my post, and I do appreciate it. I have read your posts, respect your opinion, and I think both of us have similar interests, including Japan.

I agree with your suggestion for getting secondary employment. Unfortunately, I do not have a BA in teaching, so I do not think I can get a teaching job (particularly in my area, which is considered an attractive place to teach with high license/credentialing standards), hence the master of education and my plan to start it soon. I understand that without the two year requisite of experience, I will be relegated to third-tier schools. As long as I can use it as a springboard, I am happy to start somewhere (Can't be worse than ekaiwa!)

From reading your past posts, I was under the impression that a degree in the field of study (I believe it was reflected in your interview point scheme as one point) was advantageous. If it is only advantageous for the initial posting, I am inclined to pass on taking a year to finish a chemistry BA. However, you mentioned being an examiner for IB and a degree in subject as a pre-requisite--is that worthwhile down the road? Would there be any other advantage to getting a degree in chemistry?

As the masters program is 3 semesters, I can only finish my practicum in fall 2014. Would this leave me waiting until August 2015 before I could start work? Is this graduation date (fall 2014) disadvantageous? I am keen to start work as soon as possible. With this in mind, the difference if I finish the BA in chemistry this year, followed by the masters of education next year, is only one semester, graduating from my masters program in spring 2015 as opposed to fall 2014. So I suppose time is not the biggest factor in not wanting to do the BA in chemistry unless it would confer a demonstrable advantage.

P.S. There is an option at my future school to graduate with a research project, as opposed to a series of tests. I have some background in literature review. Would it be worthwhile to pursue the research project? How would my efforts be perceived by schools, both international and domestic? (I also desire to become an administrator at some point down the road.)
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Porter1 - it is summertime. Most people are getting ready to head back to school or are already back. No offense, but it is a different cycle and this board only really heats up come October...
porter1

Post by porter1 »

[quote="shadowjack"]Porter1 - it is summertime. Most people are getting ready to head back to school or are already back. No offense, but it is a different cycle and this board only really heats up come October...[/quote]

No offense taken; I understand the excitement of returning to the classroom. May you elaborate on some of the points I raised when you have time? Thank you.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@porter1

Im not surprised, this is the transitioning and travel time for new and returning teachers.

A masters degree is an advantage. The context however is that it applies to qualified teachers, a qualified IT has a certification and 2 years of classroom experience. Experience makes up 50%-60% of the strength in a candidates resume. You would be degree heavy and experience lite, and thats not a strong position. Degrees and majors and training dont predict success in the classroom. With a lack of experience all a recruiter/admin has to assess your potential in a classroom is your degree and certification. So a M.Ed with an entry level candidate who has no background at the undergrad level in education demonstrates that you have some basic academic training in pedagogy and methodology. However having successful students with good IB or AP scores is a much better use of your time then a degree. Their are a lot of professionals in varying fields with M.Eds who are doing nothing in education but simply wanted a fast, easy degree for professional advancement. An advance degree adds to the resume of a professional teacher, it doesnt make you a professional teacher.

Likewise with an experience lite resume and as a entry level IT, the only predictors a a recruiter/admin has available to assess if you have the potential to be successful int he classroom is going to be your certification and your degree. Your certificate makes you legel. A degree in your teaching subject demonstrates you have an academic foundation, that your a content expert, that you have a knowledge base to transfer. The issue is whetehr you will be able to transfer that knowledge efficiently and effectively to your students. Thats what experience demonstrates and without that a recruiter/admin has to deduce from an interview if you have those qualities, and that potential.

Being an examiner is a marketable factor for an IT if they are an examiner and a teacher in their subject. It gives you an opportunity to evaluate the work off a varying and significant number of students. It gives you a summative snapshot of the state of education and learning in that subject. You get to see what works and what doesnt work so well. That experience has a lot of utility and value for a teacher in designing and organizing a course.
You do not "read" your own students exams. Teachers can be an examiner in their degree field without teaching the subject. In those cases best practices, are still best practices, though the value is more general to methodology and pedagogy.
Some IB teachers never become examiners and are still very marketable. It matters mush more how your instruction effects your students performance, then assessment knowledge.

A degree in chemistry has marketability in the private and corporate world outside of education. A major in chemistry on your resume will sell better then a liberal arts major.

If you finish in Fall of 2014, you will be ready for the rush recruiting season that starts in January for 2015. It is possible and there are mid year vacancies that appear, but they are rare in good schools and are more common in the bottom tier schools that are always recruiting teachers. Many of the bottom tier schools get their runners over the winter holiday. In such cases an international supply agency is a strong job option.

A honors paper/thesis or research project at the undergrad level or a thesis at the masters level has little if any impact on your marketability as a teacher. Research abilities has a more important but subtle influence in research heavy admin positions. A recruiter/admin or the HR rep is going to look at your transcript to verify your degree was conferred and your major, and maybe tabulate your hours in the teaching subject. In those limited cases they are going to look at course/department prefixes, not the actual title of the course.
Both internationally and domestically if an admin needs a science teacher and their looking at entry level candidates they arent going to care if you did a research project or not.
From an internal best practices perspective, research experience is helpful for a teacher that is working with MYP 5 students doing their personal project and for TOK teachers who are working with students pursuing "technical" essays.
porter1

Re: Comment

Post by porter1 »

[quote="PsyGuy"]@porter1

Im not surprised, this is the transitioning and travel time for new and returning teachers.

A masters degree is an advantage. The context however is that it applies to qualified teachers, a qualified IT has a certification and 2 years of classroom experience. Experience makes up 50%-60% of the strength in a candidates resume. You would be degree heavy and experience lite, and thats not a strong position. Degrees and majors and training dont predict success in the classroom. With a lack of experience all a recruiter/admin has to assess your potential in a classroom is your degree and certification. So a M.Ed with an entry level candidate who has no background at the undergrad level in education demonstrates that you have some basic academic training in pedagogy and methodology. However having successful students with good IB or AP scores is a much better use of your time then a degree. Their are a lot of professionals in varying fields with M.Eds who are doing nothing in education but simply wanted a fast, easy degree for professional advancement. An advance degree adds to the resume of a professional teacher, it doesnt make you a professional teacher.

Likewise with an experience lite resume and as a entry level IT, the only predictors a a recruiter/admin has available to assess if you have the potential to be successful int he classroom is going to be your certification and your degree. Your certificate makes you legel. A degree in your teaching subject demonstrates you have an academic foundation, that your a content expert, that you have a knowledge base to transfer. The issue is whetehr you will be able to transfer that knowledge efficiently and effectively to your students. Thats what experience demonstrates and without that a recruiter/admin has to deduce from an interview if you have those qualities, and that potential.

Being an examiner is a marketable factor for an IT if they are an examiner and a teacher in their subject. It gives you an opportunity to evaluate the work off a varying and significant number of students. It gives you a summative snapshot of the state of education and learning in that subject. You get to see what works and what doesnt work so well. That experience has a lot of utility and value for a teacher in designing and organizing a course.
You do not "read" your own students exams. Teachers can be an examiner in their degree field without teaching the subject. In those cases best practices, are still best practices, though the value is more general to methodology and pedagogy.
Some IB teachers never become examiners and are still very marketable. It matters mush more how your instruction effects your students performance, then assessment knowledge.

A degree in chemistry has marketability in the private and corporate world outside of education. A major in chemistry on your resume will sell better then a liberal arts major.

If you finish in Fall of 2014, you will be ready for the rush recruiting season that starts in January for 2015. It is possible and there are mid year vacancies that appear, but they are rare in good schools and are more common in the bottom tier schools that are always recruiting teachers. Many of the bottom tier schools get their runners over the winter holiday. In such cases an international supply agency is a strong job option.

A honors paper/thesis or research project at the undergrad level or a thesis at the masters level has little if any impact on your marketability as a teacher. Research abilities has a more important but subtle influence in research heavy admin positions. A recruiter/admin or the HR rep is going to look at your transcript to verify your degree was conferred and your major, and maybe tabulate your hours in the teaching subject. In those limited cases they are going to look at course/department prefixes, not the actual title of the course.
Both internationally and domestically if an admin needs a science teacher and their looking at entry level candidates they arent going to care if you did a research project or not.
From an internal best practices perspective, research experience is helpful for a teacher that is working with MYP 5 students doing their personal project and for TOK teachers who are working with students pursuing "technical" essays.[/quote]

I am still having trouble inquiring about the need of finishing a bio or chem degree vs. getting an additional certification, physics, or maybe ESL? After talking to a superintendent, he mentioned that in our state, one can get a third certification for only 15 credits, and that this would be not as attractive as a degree in the subject. However, he also mentioned that multiple credentials were good for smaller schools. I couldn't get a clarification on the specific meaning of these things.

I am entering my masters program, but am not happy with the
lack of advising. About myself, I have 22 credits in
biology, 20 credits in chemistry, 8 credits in calculus and
10 credits in physics.

How many credentials can I get out of this? I think I can
get a physics credential if I take another 8 credits or so.
Would it be worthwhile to do this, as even if credentialed,
I would have only 14-18 credits in physics.

More importantly, is it better for me to finish a BA in
chemistry? That would require more money and an additional
year. Do principals value a degree in the subject to be
taught (in my case chemistry) or would they prefer many
credentials?
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

Why are you going back to school when you dont need to?

You would be better served to jump right into the classroom and gain experience. You can work on your masters later.

If you started now you could be finished with your certification/license by around may/june and more than likely get a job for aug 14' if you are willing to go anywhere (last second vacancy etc) if your hold a secondary science license.
porter1

Post by porter1 »

In my state, one needs to have attended a teacher prep program or alternate certification. From my recollection, the alternate certification programs can be a year, which is the same as my accelerated traditional masters. I am also interested in the long-haul. I have already started the program.

It turns out, NY will sponsor me for certification in biology and chemistry. (I am also flirting with certification in a social science.) Unfortunately, this means I will not have a science degree. I cannot get a clear answer from forums and education professors on which is more valuable, multiple science certifications or a major in the subject. In any event, it looks like I will be certified in two secondary science subjects and one secondary social science subject. (Would adding ELLA be worthwhile at this point? I'd rather start teaching and maybe do administration down the road.)

In NY, one mus have 30 credits in the subject to earn a credential. Is this fact well known by recruiters, and if so, is it looked at favorably? I ask because I am aware in some states one only needs to pass a praxis test.

I would be interested in one of those emergency positions in January 2015. I am still young, but am feeling the carpe diem. (I have waited many years to go back abroad after my JET Program experience.)
porter1

Post by porter1 »

bump

school's been on for a while; anyone have time to respond
wrldtrvlr123

Post by wrldtrvlr123 »

[quote="porter1"]In my state, one needs to have attended a teacher prep program or alternate certification. From my recollection, the alternate certification programs can be a year, which is the same as my accelerated traditional masters. I am also interested in the long-haul. I have already started the program.

It turns out, NY will sponsor me for certification in biology and chemistry. (I am also flirting with certification in a social science.) Unfortunately, this means I will not have a science degree. I cannot get a clear answer from forums and education professors on which is more valuable, multiple science certifications or a major in the subject. In any event, it looks like I will be certified in two secondary science subjects and one secondary social science subject. (Would adding ELLA be worthwhile at this point? I'd rather start teaching and maybe do administration down the road.)

In NY, one mus have 30 credits in the subject to earn a credential. Is this fact well known by recruiters, and if so, is it looked at favorably? I ask because I am aware in some states one only needs to pass a praxis test.

I would be interested in one of those emergency positions in January 2015. I am still young, but am feeling the carpe diem. (I have waited many years to go back abroad after my JET Program experience.)[/quote]
----------------------------------

Hi. I think I have followed the thread here, but forgive me if I got something wrong.

You seem to be waffling a bit here, so this would be my 2 cents (based on a reasonably long/successful career teaching in the states, int'l schools in 3 countries and now for the overseas Dept. of Defense school system.

You need to prioritize an area of concentration and get to teaching it. To do this, you need to balance marketability with a field you have an interest in/love for AND that you will be effective at teaching to young people. Unless you are very unique, these could be very different if you are being completely honest with yourself.

For marketability, Math and Science will always trump Social Science. That being said, every school will have multiple teachers teaching middle and high school social studies, history, humanities, geography etc, so if that is your passion and a subject where you can be an effective and inspiring educator then go for it.

If that bliss/effective subject is going to be math or science then you are in the best of possible worlds. Which one? 100 people will have almost as many opinions. It doesn't really matter. A qualified, effective and inspiring teacher in any of those fields will never have a problem finding a job in almost any country in the world.

If your interest/aptitude is a tie (or close to it) then go for the one that will get you qualified/in the classroom the fastest. NY is a bear to get certification, but I don't know that most recruiters will really give you extra points for getting the most difficult to obtain certification. I tested into my certification in my then home state with a related but non-teaching degree and then took that and 2 years experience overseas. For me that worked but my area is SPED which is a very unique animal with a very different skillset.

A degree in one of the areas you have mentioned and ANY state certification would get you looked at by many 2nd/3rd tier schools around the world. I would not necessarily recommend that route, as your first years teaching should be in a school where you have a lot of support and opportunity to develop and hone your skills (and most int'l schools will not fit that bill).

So, unless you really want to spend a lot more time as a student then as a teacher, look at what credits you already have, check out your options for adding a reasonably easily obtainable state certification and see where your fastest route to getting into a classroom intersects with your interests/aptitude.

If you add 2 years of successful experience to a degree/certification in a high needs field, then most of the world and most schools will at least give you a look and a chance to make them love you/want you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
porter1

Re: set myself up for international teaching? advice needed!

Post by porter1 »

N/A