best fair option

elevate88

best fair option

Post by elevate88 »

At the moment, I am trying to decide on which SA job fair representative suits my needs. I have 4 years IS experience teaching MS.
Last year I completed a IB MYP course.
I am unsure as to which fair would give me the best possibility of landing a job for next year.
Last edited by elevate88 on Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The rule is you go to the most competitive fair you can get into. Fairs are not just about vacancies now, but networking with recruiters and admins who may have a vacancy need in the future. The most top tier schools attend BKK and then school quality falls lower and lower from their. Without IB experience and being mid career your best option for an IB position in Asia is going to be BOS. You will get more offers and have a larger attendance from Asian schools that your competitive and marketable at.
elevate88

Post by elevate88 »

Many thanks for your reply PsyGuy! I really appreciate your expertise and wisdom on this. :D
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Bangkok is a good fair, with London as your fallback. I went to the SA Bangkok fair this year with no IB experience and landed a job at a full IB school which is sending me for training at some point this year.

If Bangkok is a bust, there is a different mix of schools in London, which is still close to the Middle East. Least attractive fair for you is Cambridge, because it is so far away. I had friends who went to Bangkok, didn't even get a single interview, and then went to London and landed their jobs.
elevate88

Post by elevate88 »

I hadn't seen Bangkok as being an option for me.
It's refreshing to know that people do land land jobs there without IB experience. I had thought that I would have required more years experience to even get an invitation for that fair.
How many years of experience do you currently have Shadowjack?

I had been thinking of either going to London or Boston.
Boston seems to have more schools but I'm concerned that it's a little too late in the season.
I definitely couldn't afford to go to both and ideally I'd prefer to get something over Skype before the fairs.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@elevate88

The BOS fair isnt too late for your resume. There are exceptions to everything, someone wins the lottery. Do you want to be a candidate with a choice of offers, or someone who has to hold their breath and cross their fingers that they get lucky and get one offer?