South America

thebeachfam

South America

Post by thebeachfam »

What is a typical package for this region?
Can a teaching couple with 2 children save anything in South America? Can we earn enough to cover some debts that we already have?
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

It's a bii-iiig continent, and you can't assume every country is the same. Cost of living is generally pretty low, and salaries tend to be commensurate. I lived very comfortably on 21k in Ecuador, but then, I'm not bar-hopping or living a 20-something's lifestyle.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi!
My info is somewhat out of date in terms of personal experience, but current as regards my immediate circle of friends.
I taught at ECA (Escuela Campo Alegre) for a couple of years. It was during some very sticky patches politically, but was still a very well remunerated school. Many say the best in SA. It was also an EXCELLENT school. The current director is someone I would unhesitatingly work for.
I have friends at Graded, San Paolo. They love it and have stayed for many years. They tend to be a bit "OMG it's the best school on the planet!" and I know it's very good and well paid.
I also know folks who have been at schools in Santiago, Chile and La Paz Bolivia, several places in Ecuador and Colombia and some wonderful folks who have just gone to the American School In Rio, and others in Lima. They all enjoyed their experiences immensely and place a high value on the warm and rich culture.
SA is very varied. It is not a fiscally stable destination. If I had financial commitments in the USA, I would hesitate to put it at the top of my list. You can do extremely well in comparison with the local cost of living, get a wonderful education for your children, travel within SA but may not be able to service those debts on top of it all.
ECA and Graded may be your best options for that, but you should definitely be highly credentialed and experienced to get a look in. You would need to do your homework very carefully, and be disciplined with regard to your money. However, if you can manage this, it tends to be a very satisfying destination if you are working in a solid, established school.
Good luck and kind regards, Cheery! XX
Shay

Post by Shay »

Cheery,
I'd love to know how your friends are liking the American School in Rio as Rio is where I most want to end up on a more permanent basis.

I prefer SA compared to Asia just on a personal note but I'm sure I will eventually end up doing a run in Asia at some point when I get started.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

They've only been teaching for a week, so their opinions are not really fully formed. Having said that, they moved from the middle east so naturally the student body is more diverse and engaged, and of course the surroundings are beautiful. I'll let you know!
Shay

Post by Shay »

Which grade and subjects are they teaching there at the school Cheery?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The salary on average is about $20K a year.

With a family of 2 you can do okay on the local economy. Thats the big lie that recruiters and admins foster. They always talk about how cheap food is, but most of us dont live on the "local" economy, we live on the "apple" economy, we want iPhones, iPads, laptops, couture watches, designer clothes, large screen televisions, etc. Those things cost about the same world wide, and $20K just buys less. The other popular lie is that you cant get cheap flights, which is true. Compared to flying from the USA overseas flights are cheaper, since you have less distance to fly, and doesnt involve needing a large plane capable of flying over an ocean. The reality is that once you get that cheap flight to wherever your going the costs in your destination are the same regardless of where you fly from, and $20K just doesnt go very far.

You cant really pay debts on that kind of salary, no more then you can save. You certainly cant do all three (live, save, and pay debts).
Shay

Post by Shay »

So it seems from reading that southeast Asia is the likely destination in which the teacher's packages allow one to live relatively decent (US style) AND save at the same time?
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@Shay

I would include the ME (Middle East) as well, there is one thing the ME does, and thats pay well and the lack or difficulty of spending opportunities makes saving easier.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Hi Beachfam,

I'm no expert on South America but I just wanted to refute the 20K/year figure. Maybe that is the 'average' overall but just wanted to let you know that the opportunities are there.

I live in Colombia and have just completed my first year of international school teaching. My salary is just over 60K (that includes a housing allowance). All the other usual benefits. Like I said, I'm in my first year - other teachers are earning far more than I am.

I have two dependents and we are still managing to save $15K/year, while still living a good lifestyle with lots of holidays. Of course, part of the reason we're saving is that we don't go out a lot to eat, drink etc, which is fine with us. We do a lot of travel within the country and can afford one 'big' trip a year to visit family back home.

It's a really good lifestyle and I know the 'rival' school near us has comparable salary and benefits.

Like I said, I am not an authority on other countries, just wanted to chip in with my 2c.

Any questions, let me know.
Taniwha

Post by Taniwha »

Just seen this:
"we live on the "apple" economy, we want iPhones, iPads, laptops, couture watches, designer clothes, large screen televisions"

We're definitely not living an "apple" economy, more of a Dell one. Another reason we're managing to save I suppose.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I second Taniwha's comment.

Although not necessarily the norm, there are quite a few schools in South America that rival the ME and Asia for overall package. Off the top of my head I can list about 15 or so.

I recently returned to South America and my starting salary is in the upper US$50k's. This is before you add a generous housing allowance, flights, tuition, extensive PD and the best insurance plan I have had in 15 years of international teaching. The cost of living here is also not that much higher than in my last Asian posting.

So, if you look around just a bit, you can find an attractive situation for you.

Good luck.
calciodirigore

Post by calciodirigore »

I also forgot to mention that my present school provides a generous retirement plan, too.
newchapter

Post by newchapter »

Can all of you familiar with SA list the schools that you're talking about? I'd be interested to know what you consider 'top tier' in SA. Thanks.
Snowbeavers

Re: Reply

Post by Snowbeavers »

[quote="PsyGuy"][b]The salary on average is about $20K a year.[/b][/quote]

I stopped reading your post after this.