Best Degree for DoDEA or International School

RementBento

Best Degree for DoDEA or International School

Post by RementBento »

I am about to begin an education cohort in the fall. I would love to know your opinions on which degree or certificates will make me the most desirable candidate for overseas hire. Truly I want a job with the DoD but would really just like an overseas adventure! :D

Since I am starting at the beginning of my teaching career (and I am already 33!) I would like to make sure I am setting myself up with the best degree/experiences/certificates, etc.

Thanks!
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Science/Math is the deadly duo! Need to be able to teach it up to grade 12 though to be totally desirable!
RementBento

Post by RementBento »

I can definitely do science but not math or "mathy" science. Thanks for the advice! My university offers a degree in middle grades science and social science. I will see if I can add on classes and get certified in high school science too! Keep the advice coming! I need it for sure. ;)
bilinguallearner

Post by bilinguallearner »

ESL cert in addition to whatever your subject matter is, certainly helps too! I also think the more your certification covers (math/sci versus just sci or grades PreK-12 versus just elementary) helps a ton, too-- it lets employers know that you are able to fit into a number of different positions they may have...

Good luck!
BL

Lots of brand new FREE stuff just posted on our website @ www.bilinguallearner.com/ !! You can find out about our latest promotions, free stuff, or our counseling/ESL adventures by liking/following us on our brand new Facebook Page @ www.facebook.com/bilinguallearn or Twitter Page @ www.twitter.com/bilinguallearn
RementBento

Post by RementBento »

Thanks for the advice. I found out today that the local high school uses an IB curriculum so I will try and do my student teaching there.

This may be a silly question but do you need to know another language to be certified ESL?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

You do not need any additional language fluency to be qualified or certified in ESOL (assuming your state doesnt require it). Dual language is only useful in Bilingual programs, otherwise having language proficiency in the host language can be a crutch in the ESOL classroom. If students HAVE to use english to communicate with you it creates necessity and motivation for them to do so.

Your not a math person, so Id stay away from math/science.

The best certification area is SPED (SEN/LS, or Special Education Needs and Learning Support).

1) Early in your career whats crucial is getting your first teaching position, and SPED has typically had high demand. Not that Math and science dont, but a teacher who hasnt proven themselves and has no classroom experience is seldom placed in an upper level or tested grade level. So you dont build that record of strong performance. SPED never does well, so scores dont count much when hiring SPED teachers in ISs. In other low demand teaching areas such as Literature or Humanities you could be waiting years for a vacancy, position to become available.

2) In IE, you really only find SPED positions in upper tier schools. SPED is expensive, and private/independent schools dont have to admit anyone. So many 2nd and 3rd tier ISs either dont or provide no services. As such you avoid a whole lot of bad schools, since they simply wont have SPED programs.

3) While many lower tier schools dont provide SPED there are small independent 2nd tier ISs that dont have a formal SPED department and find teachers with SPED qualification valuable as an impromptu LS program.

4) IB/AP/IGCSE dont effect SPED very much, as such having experience in those curriculum is less influential in hiring a new teacher. In addition scores arent important for a SPED teacher like they are for a upper secondary teacher.

5) Later in your career when your looking at DoDDS SPED is one of the consistently higher demand areas. Its very difficult to meet the course requirements and their are half a dozen specializations, each requiring specialized courses. You can apply for a DODDS SPED position and be content in an upper tier IS until you get an offer.

6) SPED is pretty easy in an IS, their isnt the moderate or severe needs students. Its almost exclusively mild needs or acute needs students. Dyslexia and ADD are the most common conditions. Unless you have a large SPED department as the full time teacher you will mostly do resource and manage a group of substitutes who will provide inclusion support. This management experience early in your career can be a convenient stepping stone into administration.
RementBento

Post by RementBento »

Thanks for the Special Ed advice! I will look into that. I have heard that a SPED degree will get you a job just about anywhere I just don't think I have the patience.
I AM going to check out possible certifications that I can perhaps add onto a more traditional degree. A lot to think about!!
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@RementBento

SEN/LS in an IS doesnt require any more patience then any other teacher working with struggling students. Its more about finding an individual instructional approach that works with a specific student, who isnt/wasnt successful with the main stream/general/traditional approach. It requires more creativity then patience.
RementBento

Post by RementBento »

Thanks, PsyGuy. I have been mulling over your advice and looking at Special Ed forums on this site. I have to say your description of Special Ed being more about creativity and less about patience really sparked my interest. I really appreciate your advice and will keep researching! :D