Johannesburg

Cheery Littlebottom

Johannesburg

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi all, and a special good morning to PsyGuy and his seemingly inexhaustable appetite for posting to this forum!
Can anyone give me some first hand information concerning the International School of Johannesburg and speak to living in Jo'burg itself?
Naturally, if one reads certain segments of the press one may believe it is a constant bloodbath. However, having lived in Caracas and understand the concept of "reasonable precautions" I can imagine it is very livable.
I have looked up several threads, but none of the responses are particularly up to date.
Many thanks and happy holidays
Cheery
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Never lived in J-Burg but did visit J-Burg and Cape town. Not my region, petty crime is pretty common and relatively high. Cost are pretty low in some aspects but you can go a 100m down the street and cross the proverbial tracks. There is a constant bloodbath but it doesnt effect foreigners or expats, the locals are quit content killing each other.

Incidentally, I was there to go skin diving with GWS.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hey Dave
Yeah I hear the diving is pretty stellar. Always wanted to do that shark cage thang! Rather dive where it's warmer though cos I chill down fast (v. small and low body fat!) Plus I am a zoologist without the budget for expensive safaris - how shallow!
Nah, so long as you know where to go and don't flash expensive stuff around then most places are ok. In Venezuela we always went to the ATM at busy times and in pairs!
I have some fairly specific reasons for being interested in the school as well, so if anyone out there can clue me up......?