Best Fairs

Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

To a certain extent, yes. The new-ish format has space for salary, but not everyone fills it in and I know that several figures are actually quite wrong. Also, you need to apply a degree of common sense to a simple figure and research taxes, housing, utilities, COLA etc. I suppose after ISR the cheapest site to get salary figures is TIE.
I also joined International Schools Community (which seems to be down at the moment.....) which is a newer forum. This also has some quite good information, including a "comparison shop" for salaries. It costs about $30 a year.
Also, there's a really long thread in the articles and information bit of ISR (can't quite place it at the moment.)
Alternatively, you can go to a school website, find a teacher doing a job similar to the one you want and see if they are willing to engage in a dialogue to see how you might fit in with the culture of the school. The worst that happens is that they tell you to sod off. Just don't barge straight in there with questions about salaries. Often, good schools encourage their staff to give recommendations when recruiting so if you come over as all about the money....well......
A good friend of mine, a long time director of a very good school, says she has lost count of the number of times teachers actually email her, say they are interested in working at her school and ask how much they could expect to be paid....not the best approach.
Anyway, good luck!
I get paid $5000+ a month tax free, plus housing and utilities, yearly flights and interest free car loan. I won't tell you where I work, because PsyGuy will start off at me! ;-)
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

Still think the difference has more to do with which curriculum the schools offer than quality of schools. SA had quite a few good schools on its list this year that ISS doesn't.But they don't really fit into its remit.
RE: tiers. I'm not really a tier person. I'll bow to your greater knowledge. 8)
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

I read that a teacher can get around 40k a year in Brazil so the average pay in SA can be more than 20ish

Are these salaries tax free?
Colin

Post by Colin »

I am interested in teaching somewhere in SE Asia after this upcoming school year. I'm currently in Latin America. The BKK Fair is not possible due to the timing and cost of getting there from here. What would be my next best fair option? What are the chances of getting a job in SE Asia without going to a fair?
indogal

Post by indogal »

It was about 7 years ago, so I know the recruiting game has changed a lot, but I got my job in SE Asia at the February Cambridge fair with Search.
National

Post by National »

I got my job in SE Asia at the London Fair, so there are opportunities outside of the Bangkok fair.
Walter

FAIRS

Post by Walter »

You will find some SE Asia schools at SEARCH London, CIS London, UNI, SEARCH Cambridge and ISS Boston in 2013. Thing is you will find nearly all SE Asia schools at ISS/SEARCH Bangkok. The further you travel along the recruitment calendar, the more likely it is that available jobs thin out, so you could wait for the US fairs and then find that the job you wanted has gone. On the other hand, you could take a gamble and aim for a Bangkok fair but find the recruiters are really picky and only want to sign Mr or Ms Perfect because they know they are going to fairs in London and/or Boston.
Really, there is a large element of luck in this game. If you can't afford to get to Bangkok, and London will eat up a lot of hard-earned money as well, I'd go to SEARCH Cambridge. The earlier you get your stuff together and express your preference to your Associate, the more chance you have of getting what you want.