Best Fairs

Manumanu

Best Fairs

Post by Manumanu »

What is the best recruiting fair if I am interested in working in either Morocco, Brazil, Dubai, Thailand...? I am leaning towards UNI in Feb 2014, but only one school from Morocco is attending. Would that change later on?
Any suggestions?

If I am offered an exceptional offer I would go anywhere, but mainly looking specific countries, especially if the cost of living is low.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Thats all over really.

Thailand is a pretty high desire location. The BKK fair is the best fair for that region, but the BKK fair is the most competitive fair to get an invite too.

Brazil like most of SCA doesnt have the money in their compensation packages to compete won the global average. Uni would be the best option for schools in Brazil and SCA.

Dubai would be the BOS job fair, or the SF job fair depending on how marketable you are.

Morocco is always recruiting it seems and some of the worst schools in the world are in Morocco (GW Academy, Casablanca AS, etc). If your not an utter looser you could get hired for Morocco schools year round, without a fair at all, and I wouldnt waste my time at a fair with one of those schools. Bethesda would be the easiest, its pretty much hire however shows up, but the "best" would be the SF fair"
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Great information. I don't think I can travel all over due to cost and no time. I want to try one fair and keep my budget to below $300. SF and Boston are okay, but I would like to know more about the UNI fair in February. It seems to have a big list of schools attending and the cost is reasonable. Anyone with experiences to share?
Thanks
interteach

Post by interteach »

If you can wait a bit, you can find out what schools are registered for most of the Search Associates fairs on their website.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The UNI fair is about half SCA schools, a quarter Asian and a quarter ME schools. They are lower tier schools, or mid tier schools that because of the regional costs of living cant afford high salaries. Regardless the UNI fair focuses on new and entry level teaching positions. A lot of candidates are successful in establishing a career and resume with these "starter schools".

You do see a small, minority number of experienced teachers who are specifically interested in the better SCA schools.

Given the cost you dont get a lot outside the one fair and a very limited database (the TIE database is cheaper and better). Nor do you get the broader range of schools and longer membership that you would with SA (and the first fair is free).

Unless you were really focused on the SCA, the BOS fair would offer more potential, though UNI is safer, as far as probability of securing any offer.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

I wanted UNI cause its close to me and I don't have to pay the extra costs (flight, etc...)
Well I have 8 years counseling experience and would not touch a school unless I get at least $3400/month that's if it is low cost of living and including the package. For expensive countries like Dubai, Japan, etc. It would have to be a lot more. I like countries that are cheap and where you can save money and experience a different life.
So, it seems if I want a top school I would have to invest more money on air fair, hotel and maybe pay for SA. Correct? Or maybe attend more and weigh my options? Do they give you time to think and what if you find better deal after you sign?
I have TIE and its nice, so you are saying SA is more but have better database and includes a free fair?
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

I have been to the UNI fair. Some thoughts:

- they have been doing it a long time. The oldest fair I'm told
- friendly, professional people to work with
- nonprofit, so different than SA in that sense
- lots of newer teachers, but I wasn't new when I went and ran into many who weren't either
- lots of actual hiring going on there;I had 7 interviews and three offers; ihad multiple dependents too
- schools from all over, especially S. Amer. (got interviews from England, Mexico, Kuwait, Peru, Egypt, India)
- when I went, I believe it was about 150 schools and probably 600 teachers
- good timing of fair; not so early they are waiting on something better and not so late all the good jobs are gone
-$3400 a month for S. Amer. would likely be on the rare side (unless you include housing, perks)

As you can tell, I had a pretty good experience. Never done SA, so maybe it is good too.

The info UNI gives you is a bit more comprehensive than TIE. the UNI info looks similar to the SA info.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

My experience with UNI matches Trojan's. They are the original overseas fair producers, and the staff can't be more helpful. The atmosphere among the recruiters and applicants is very collegial; several recruiters on the puddle-jumper gave me some useful advice. Once you join, you have access to their forum and a comprehensive database. I still stay in touch years later with some of the people I met through the forum.

There were indeed schools from all over the world, including some very well-regarded ones in Asia and Europe (I don't subscribe to PG's much-beloved "tier" system, though). It is not exclusively newbie; there were a number of veterans who preferred the lower-key atmosphere and cost. The schools seem more in hiring mode than just scouting; I too got a number of offers, and I definitely was not an entry-level applicant.

As you weigh your salary needs, do keep in mind COL for the region. Thirty four hundred/month is really pushing it for Latin America. While you might get that in Japan or Dubai, the COL is high.

I think UNI would be a good choice for you since you're so close, and it has a good variety of schools.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

UNI is not the first/original IE job fair, ISS has that distinction. UNI started in 1976 and ISS in 1955 with its first "fair" in the early 60's (depending on how you define a fair).
Though depending on your definition of a fair TES, being the oldest educator service (dating back to 1910) may have had some informal events that might qualify as a "fair".

@Manumanu

Are you a certified school counselor? Do you have College advising experience or is your expertise all mental health?

You are not going to get $3400/month +OSHpac in SCA. The top tier schools might max that salary on their salary scale, and a admin might be able to negotiate that salary, but with salary caps your not going to get that even at the elite schools. It doesnt matter what fair you go to, or your resume, that pay level would be beyond most schools and would be outside the salary cap of the top schools.
Elite schools in Japan and Dubai you could get more, but again the COL is much higher, and your still talking top elite schools that you dont just "walk" into because you want to.

Elite top tier schools dont experience a lot of turnover, especially at junior admin positions such as a counselor. There is no where for those people to go unless they are retiring. Going to the elite job fairs isnt going to be easy, especially if your looking for that pay level.

The BKK fair is the one to go to, and ISS is a better fit given your objectives.

Schools are supposed to give you 24 hours or a day to consider an offer, in reality that doesnt happen. Fairs are short and they have to make their time work for them. They cant afford to not interview or hold off on interviews for a whole day while you decide. A few hours is more realistic. If you cant pull the trigger on the spot though, a fair is not the best place for job hunting, networking sure but not a job search.

What happens if you receive a better offer after you sign, well that depends on you and what type of person you are. If you take the better offer, then officially you will be responsible to the agency for the placement fee, and they will ban you as a candidate, and your contract likely has a policy or clause that would render the contract with them void.
Much of what really happens though depends on how you got the new job and how you handle it. At the fair your supposed to immediately report to your associate when you accept a contract, at the end of the fair schools report who they hired. If you get an offer outside of the fair then the more distance between the agency, the school and yourself the easier it is to get away with it. Even if you are found out, the ban is not permanent, if your going to be easily placed after a couple years then the agencies arent going to say no to easy money. It wouldnt make much difference anyway, from your objectives your only going to settle for a top tier school and once thee, like many others there is nowhere to really go, as such youd likely serve out your career at this school, and even if you didnt with experience at an elite school and a suitable vacancy the number of elite schools is well known and very small, you would not need an agency to move to a new school. You could of course choose to pay the agency placment fee, but if your not going to use them again and they are going to ban you, then there is no reason to part with the money.
Most ITs dont suffer too much by violating the "word is your bond" rule with the agencies. The only real hazard is doing so openly at the actual fair.

SA has about 650 schools and ISS about 300. Depending on the time of year TIE has about 200 schools. SA has a broad range of 1st - 3rd tier schools, ISS is almost almost exclusively elite and 1st tier schools (with some of the high desire 2nd tier schools). SA is $225 for 3 years and your first fair attendance is free, additional fairs are $75. ISS is $195 for 2 years and all fairs are free.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Wow great information!!!! I am certified school counselor for all grades and can provide college advisement and college admission. My ideal job would be in middle or high school, and top tier is not a priority. I always worked in public schools with low socioeconomic population so I am used to the cheap to get by stuff.

I know PG you were not in favor of Morocco, but to me it seems like a good fit as I am not looking elite status, as long as working condition is ok and I get paid reasonable salary. What is the best schools in Morocco? I don't care if the gym leaks water or the library is small, etc. From looking at teacher's vacancies and salaries advertised, they are offering around $2900 and up for teachers and I know counselors get a little more.

Yes, I think you are right as Thailand is difficult as many people want to work there.
How do schools feel about accepting only a 1-year contract instead of 2?
I may have to attend UNI and if it does not produce a job, but attend a SA or ISS.
shadylane

Post by shadylane »

"SA has a broad range of 1st - 3rd tier schools, ISS is almost almost exclusively elite and 1st tier schools (with some of the high desire 2nd tier schools)."

Just been onto ISS website and not sure if I can agree with you. Seem a fair few 3rd/4th tier schools too.

They seem more defined by the curriculum choice of their schools which seems narrower than SA.
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

Manumanu - since you are a school counselor with college advisement experience, chances are you won't even have to go to a fair. Sign up for UNI since it's close as a last resort.

Good counselors are few and far between so start the search in October by contacting schools with openings directly. I don't know anything about UNI's online resources - we attended long before this valuable tool existed.

The last job search I bookmarked the schools that were most important to me and checked their HR page often. I got to apply to a few before the openings were posted to any of the search agencies!

Good luck!
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Thanks
How can you use this site (or any other site) to find out the salary range of specific schools?
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

After you register for UNI, they send you a package of school information, including benefits, salary, mission statement, etc. In addition, you can see the available jobs for each school, allowing you to contact them ahead of time if you'd like.

I think UNI combined with TIE (which is super cheap) as a backup to look for openings other than the schools attending the fair is a viable option.

Good luck.
Manumanu

Post by Manumanu »

Ok thanks
Can you use International Schools Review website to find salaries too?