Yearly airfare provision

inman

Yearly airfare provision

Post by inman »

In response to dimnds recent post about initial contract airfare I mentioned that the times that I have had issues with airfares have been with the yearly flight allowance. I've worked in a couple of places where they've given me an amount that really would only get me the cheapest of the cheap flights with at least 1 long stop. I know quite a few people who have felt hard done by with yearly flight allowances. On the other hand though, 1 place I worked gave the money in March so teachers could get a good price early on before all the prices went up. I'm not sure how common this is, but I was impressed. What are your experiences with yearly airfares? Is it standard practice to get the money early?
Monkey

Post by Monkey »

I've had it work a couple of different ways. One school didn't provide a yearly airfare--that was WE though. Another school did the same thing where they gave us the flight money in March so we could book tickets home. The money was always adequate for me. I do know other people at that school who would get less than they thought they should. The other school had an "account" where they dumped all your money--flight allowances, shipping, etc.--and you got to manage it all on your own for pretty much whatever you wanted. You just had to provide receipts.
micki0624

Post by micki0624 »

Our school purchases it for us. We have a travel agent come in, with the restrictions the school has set, and book through her. If we choose a "better" airline, or want to stop off somewhere that costs a bit more, we just pay the difference.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

More and more schools are providing airfare and travel only at the beginning and end of contract. Annual flight allowances are disappearing.
Mr.C4ke

Re: Comment

Post by Mr.C4ke »

[quote="PsyGuy"]More and more schools are providing airfare and travel only at the beginning and end of contract. Annual flight allowances are disappearing.[/quote]

I'm starting at a new school next week and I've only got fares at the beginning and end of contract.

After the initial 2 year contract it's annual contracts, again with fares at beginning and end, so I have to wait until then if I want to be flown home every year.
Cee13

Post by Cee13 »

I'm in the same boat as you Mr. Cake!
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

We get our airfare deposited in our account in March/April or can choose to have the school buy it for us. We are fortunate to continue to have yearly flights.
inman

Post by inman »

Thanks for the responses. I've personally never worked in an international school that doesn't provide yearly airfares at all, even when i worked in a low end school in Bangkok years ago. Seems like I might want to enjoy the benefit while it lasts.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

@inman

I've seen an increase, particularly among low tier European schools of offering essentially local packages for OSH.
shadowjack

Post by shadowjack »

Yearly flights provided at the school I am now at, plus another that made me a job offer.

They might be disappearing at some schools, but most schools will still offer yearly. I don't know that I would go to a school that didn't...