China: western style apt.

durianfan

Post by durianfan »

There is a fee for joyjobs as well. I'll second Tie Online - I joined that one as well as Search and probably got 5 interviews from it.

The problem you're going to have is that schools will be very reluctant to hire you because you are not certified. So you need to look at 3rd tier schools who are desperate. What subject matter do you teach? What is your degree in? If it's math or science, then you might be able to get something.

Or you can just start looking at the websites for international schools - there are loads in China - and start looking for openings.
dimnds

forensic science/chemistry degree

Post by dimnds »

taught chem labs at two universites..plus subbed and taught overseas.
mark3phil

Post by mark3phil »

I understand your pain and the need to find a job. It may be difficult to find a job at a typical international school without proper accreditation, but there are some other avenues you might want to pursue. There are some online ways to make some money in the ELS world that don’t require too much in the area of qualifications. In China you could look into Meten (http://www.meteni.com/english/Jobs.aspx ) Or Wallstreet English.

There are some other school you might find through Dave’s ESL Café http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/ I am sure they are not the ideal schools but working at a national school does not have to be a bad gig, especially with limited options. You could also look into working at a missionary school, if you are a Christian, and see if they have any options for you. Best of luck in your job search and healing during your time of sadness.
dimnds

jobs everywhere

Post by dimnds »

I am applying all over the globe...the age thing is killing me here...

one school will go forward..a uni..as I was a referral to their admin person..$700 med ins a year

waiting to hear on that one..

in Vegas so applied to Mexico..not a lot of money..but live cheap..love tacos lol..not far from me

apps to Vietnam, Taiwan, Turkey, China..trying not to use recruiters..seem to be a waste of energy...and oxygen..lol

let the schools know up front am 61 and ask if it is an issue..so spent every night sending out apps..cvs

let s see if last night was productive!

I do use Dave's and have a resume posted..as do I on seriousteachers.com and responded to ads on the diff countries' Craigslist ads..
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Wish I would have read your comment earlier. You should have taken the 10K RMB position. Most of our contributors didnt read until late but there are a lot of things killing your application.

1) Your too old, if your not an admin by the time your in your 50's its going to be nearly impossible to get you hired. Moant countries and schools cap retirement at 60.

2) Your not a teacher. Your not certified. For accreditiaon or marketing/policy purposes youd have to be reported as unqualified.

3) You have no experience. Teaching chem lab at university doesnt count for anything. You dont have IB/AP/IGCSE experience and dont have any secondary experience at all. I wouldnt put you in an upper secondary classroom, because a recruiter/admin sees "Chemistry lab instructor" and thinks what you did was wash glassware most of the time.

4) Your international experience is all ESOL and that doesnt count for anything, especially outside of ESOL. ESOL teachers even the real deal, professional educators have to be very careful and face additional scrutiny when applying for positions. Anything that smells like ESOL is going to cause a recruiters warning alarms to go off.

Your an over the hill ESOL instructor, and 10K RMB isnt good money for an IT but for ESOL in China its right in the middle. I see two international options for you:

1) You need to go over to Daves ESL cafe and start applying to everywhere and take the first decent offer you get.

2) Go to Japan on a tourist visa, see your son. Its a lot easier finding an ESOL position in Japan when your already there, though age is going to be a huge problem for you.

I dont want to sound insensitive, Ive never lost anyone really, but froma professional/realistic position despite the loss of your son, you should consider continuing to do whatever it was you were doing before he passed away.

In regards to your original inquiry:

It depends on the school. Traditionally foreign teachers would be housed in "Panda" housing, with western bathroom facilities and amenities, including a western toilet. Chinese matress are a dense hardish foam. Most people by a padded dovet or foam topper for it. Soem teachers just by new mattresses.
Most on campus residences do not have the ability to individually meter the utilities (some do of course) but a school that nickels and dimes provided housing is just being cheap. If its outside third . housing then your allowance whatever it pays.
It sounds like your school is just giving you native/local student housing or low quality apartments.
You can pay your utilites at a number of places and probably can do them through the landlord or your schools reception/office staff. Paying locally such as at a kiosk, convenience store or market is another option.