Jeddah/Here I go again/Good or bad ?

missy

Jeddah/Here I go again/Good or bad ?

Post by missy »

Anyone teaching in Jeddah ?

How's the social life there ?
I am told it is the "most liberal" city in all of Saudi Arabia (for whatever that's worth !!) ?

Once again, I will appreciate both good and bad experiences
from anyone whose lived there or is currently teaching there....
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

A good friend from my school in Oman has been hired to teach there and she is quite excited. It's a good move for her, with three kids (free tuition for them) and a trailing spouse, they will get a three-BR villa within a compound so the kids can play outside with other kids; there is a beach and marina there as well. It's an IB school and she's keen to get that experience. Being married and Muslim, nightlife is not so important, but it sounds like there are enough expats in this small city within the compound that you would be able to find friends there.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

Based on your user name your a woman, and its the "kingdom". Describing the kingdom as liberal is like describing Hades as "Warm with a dry climate". Seriously, this is a train wreck waiting to happen.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

Assuming you are living on a compound, you will find a very Western lifestyle, although very much like a large fishbowl where everyone knows you and what you're doing. Jeddah does have a reputation for being more tolerant, but I think you will still have to wear an abaya off-compound. I don't believe head scarves are required, but probably recommended to avoid too much unwanted attention, and certainly not a burqa.
lucygoose

Post by lucygoose »

Jeddah is liberal in the sense that you don't have to wear the hijab (headscarf) all the time off compound (best to carry one with you though in case you run into the religious police.) You still do of course need to wear an abaya. There is an expat theater group, a choir, and the teachers at the British school tend to be a lively bunch. There are also lots of Embassy functions to attend, which can be really fun to break the monotony of home brewed wine and beer.

There are also a few private beach clubs where you can hang out in a bathing suit and its also a great place to scuba dive. Camping on the weekends is also a fun option.

Check out the blogs Susie of Arabia (she lives in Jeddah) and Blue Abaya (Riyadh) to get a taste for what life in Saudi will bring.
seinfeld

Post by seinfeld »

"religious police"

That's all you need to know about SA.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Do you really want to be in a location where woman are arrested for little more then the perception of adultery? Where you have to use the term "religious police" in conversation? Where "fun" involves homemade wine/beer? Where you have to go to a special club just to wear a Bikini and you have to carry special clothing with you?

Compound living is defiantly a fish bowl. You have to go prepared to just do the job and do it for the money. I mean bottom line it for you, this is the place that supports the trafficking of woman into slavery. This country views woman is property, and disposable property at that. Men with means just trade PEOPLE of your gender like they were commodities in a market. You need a visa to enter and you need a exit visa to leave. You are essentially a prisoner without permission.