Off Topic- Taxes in Canada

Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Passports are definitely scanned at both airports and land border crossings
westcoaster

Post by westcoaster »

I am pretty sure that my passport has been scanned whenever I return to Canada.

Anyway, back to the original topic... I worked overseas for a couple of years. When I returned home to Canada, I went to an accountant and she had me fill out some forms declaring non-residency in Canada due to having residency in another country and included that in my tax return. From what I understand, it is not a guarantee whether or not CRA will accept your non-residency. I was lucky and didn't end up paying tax in Canada for the years I was away. I will say that I did not have much ties to Canada with the exception of a driver's licence, bank account, and credit card.

Definitely, as another person here already suggested, get an accountant. It is so worth paying someone else to deal with CRA for you. :)
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Do they scan passports at land border crossings? If they didnt, you could fly into a US city near the border then cross over on land, and drive or fly domestically within Canada.

Again, I always thought Americans had it bad when it came to taxes, but it really does seem like luck of the draw if CRA considers you resident or not, and the amount of work you have to go through if they are wrong or you think they are wrong.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

PsyGuy, you are adding nothing to the conversation, other than to take it off track. Please try to refrain from posting, please.

I think when dealing with the CRA it's usually better to have an experienced professional to do it. It doesn't have to cost much. Our last year end tax forms cost us $120. I think that's well worth it.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

The hire an accountant position isnt adding anything either. An accountant isnt a guarantee you will get the right answer or do the right thing. Your accountant tells you to do this and CRA says that was wrong, so now your in the same position before and out $120 in accounting fees as well.

You shouldnt have to pay $120 to get a simple question answered, am I resident or not, and if not what do I need to do to not be. You could ask a Canadian tax professional online for $20. What do you need an accountant for, you have a basic tax situation. You have income from wages and salary, some banking interest and maybe some rental income. Thats an easy tax return to file on your own, thats like paying a lawyer $120 to ask them how fast you can drive.