New teacher advice

ZekeNorth

New teacher advice

Post by ZekeNorth »

Good day all,

As a long time lurker of these forums I am in need of some advice/guidance.

So after working in the cultural heritage field for the past 6 years ( which includes 3 years of teaching at the college level - Community Studies) I am going back to school in order to get my teaching certification in History/ English HS in Ontario with the purpose of teaching in International Schools.

I have a few questions I was hoping everyone could help me with.

1. Have people had reasonable levels of success with SA or something like TORF before having finished their certification? I will be able to prove I am currently enrolled with a confirmed finish date.

2. I am in a long term relationship - My partner has a BA with a 120 hour TESL course from ITTT teflonline with limited teaching experience. Is there anywhere on the application I can mention this or should I even bother? I assume her having a TESL wont help my chances or even be a factor

3. As I understand the majority of International Schools require two years of experience - would teaching at the college level fulfill this requirement? Or does it need to specifically apply to your teachables in a high school environment.

Thank you everyone in advance.
CaliPro

Post by CaliPro »

If you only plan to teach abroad you dont need to go back to Canada and spend the extra time and money. Do an alternative US certification program which will be ALOT cheaper and quicker. You will just need to apply for a US social security number.

You might even be able to use that in Canada if you decide to return by taking an exam or two.

I would imagine it will be difficult to get a job if you havent finished your certification or atleast passed the certification exams prior to finishing your program.

I wouldnt not mention your partner. In the schools eyes she would just be an expense / dependent imo

Im pretty sure teaching at a Uni / Comm College will not count, as it is experience AFTER certification in the International School setting and curriculum .

And FYI, 2 years is not a REQUIREMENT in a sense that you must have it or cant get a job without it. It is a starting point that schools PREFER. Sure some elite tier 1 schools might follow that guideline to a tee, but there are plenty schools which have and do hire newb teachers.
ZekeNorth

Post by ZekeNorth »

Thanks you for the information.

Out of curiosity, when does the dependent question pop up? Is that usually a pre, during, or post interview question?

I would see 1 dependent being a deal breaker for allot of schools. Is that a correct assessment?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

People are reasonably successful using SA/ISS and other recruiting agencies without the requisite two years experience. The catch is what you define as "successful", your very likely to end up in a bottom tier school, having to make due with a possibly local package in a hardship location like the ME. After an experience like that a lot of teachers go back to what they did before.
SA does have an internship program and coordinator and its a way of getting into better schools without a competitive resume.

What kind of relationship? People use "partner" to describe same sex relationships more often. Not that i judge but places like the ME where your likely to get the most interest would NOT support a same sex relationship and could very well give you serious legal trouble.

Your partners experience and TESOL credential means nothing and is worth nothing. Your better off just leaving it off. You have a trailing partner, thats how it is. Its not a deal breaker. Usually 2:1 (travelers:employee) is fine, when you start getting more then that is becomes an issue.

You should include in your cover letter and application that you have a partner. If your at a fair a recruiter/admin is going to look at your profile and take notice of your relationship status. Hiding it just makes it look like your deceptive, and in the fast paced bubble of a fair, recruiters/admins dont have time to investigate your background and if your deceptive of your relationship status what else are you hiding?

College level expereince doesnt count, ESOL experience doesnt count, and nothing really counts pre certification, with a few exceptions (mainly uncertified teaching in a reputable private school in a western setting). it need not be high school, secondary and primary count as well.

I really would advise you take a deep look about this. You are venturing into a profession that may become a non starter. Here is the issue: your entering a low demand teaching specialty (english/history) with a trailing partner, and you really do HAVE to enter the IS teaching field because the market for english/history teachers in ontario is zero, you may very well be waiting years if ever getting a position in Canada to build your experience, and as an IT you have a VERY lite resume. You will have a certification in a low demand teaching field with no experience, and a Masters (an assumption based on your community college teaching).
ZekeNorth

Post by ZekeNorth »

Thank you for the detailed reply Psyguy.
I agree it is an up hill battle for my current position. The situation in Canada is very poor especially in Ontario, though some things are being done to remedy the situation. But these remedies wont see any effects for at least 3 or 4 years into the future. (if anyone is curious about the status in Ontario)
1. Ontario is cutting grad rates from 9500 teachers to 4200 per year.
2. Funding is being cut by 20% per student (less support from UNI and more expensive programs)
3. program is going from 1 year to 2.
4. There are now two types of employment lists – 1 list for subs and 1 for LTO contracts. This has greatly opened up the subs list and I know many people who make good income as a pure Sub teacher. (Just the reality of working in Ontario for now)
But I will say the prairie provinces provide much more opportunities for the emerging teacher then then east or west Canada.
Your information regarding common law spouses (it is a female) was very detailed and what I needed to hear – I will refrain from using the word partner – just wanted something more professional sounding then “girlfriendâ€
CDNTEACH

Post by CDNTEACH »

Hey -

Feel your pain as a fellow Canadian Teacher. I just wanted to let you know, from my experience and my friends who are ontario teachers - many of the Canadian overseas schools will hire new teachers...and if you find the right country - your partner can tutor, ESL teach, or even come over as a Teacher Assistant.

It will be a tough battle but once you have certification, alot of doors open!

(PS TORF, if they let you in, will help you find your first placement as will the Teacher placement service - just be open with where you go!)
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

A lot of Canadian overseas schools will take new teachers. I'm in one right now, although not Ontario curriculum. There are three Canadian schools in the city I'm in, I believe they all hire new teachers and they pay ok (some better than others, but nobody's starving).

When searching for Canadian schools on Google use the word 'offshore' as well / instead of 'international'. This seems to be the preferred term.

Most of the offshore schools aren't going to pay for your partner's ticket, so, it's not that big an issue for them. With ESL experience they might end up in a support job, probably at a local rate.
ZekeNorth

Post by ZekeNorth »

Thanks CDNTeach and Iambog for the information.

I followed up with a few friends who are new teachers over seas at a couple Canadian schools and they confirm the same thing.
Some had trailing spouses who didnt get much support from the school for the spouse but landed great jobs when they were in the city.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Your girlfriend does change things significantly. The good news is shes not going to complicate and reduce the marketability of you as an IT. The bad news is your a single teacher, as she doesnt count.
Schools dont see girlfriends as anything. They wont fly her out there, they wont give you married/couple housing or housing allowance, they wont insure her, and they wont sponsor her for a dependent visa. If your girlfriend was a qualified teacher you could present/market your self as a package deal, but her TESOL certificate isnt worth anything. If you were married and a school really wanted you, they may create a position for her as an ESOL tutor, or relief teacher.
This isnt a huge issue though as the regions your likely to be successful (the ME and Asia, outside the little tigers) have very strong ESOL markets and your girlfriend is very likely to find sponsored employment in language/bilingual/state school environment.

The saturation of Canadian teachers in the provinces has pushed a lot of Canadian teachers overseas, and in the past Canadian teachers applying to Canadian schools have enjoyed atypically higher success then is average. That trend has been dropping over the last couple years. Even so you have a really lite resume, again no experience, a degree and certification in very low demand fields. That's not going to put your application at the top of a pile, even assuming a small pile.

Internships as you will typically find through the SA program are full salaried teaching positions and usually start at step 1 or step 0, but they are not a 'peasants' salary. Beyond that how the individual programs differ is how close to an OSH or local package you will get. Local packages typically include insurance but no housing, travel or relocation. Some schools will move closer to a full OSH package in which you may get travel and or relocation. Internship contracts are usually one year instead of the more common 2 year contract an IT would receive. These programs are mostly run by tier 1 schools, and at the completion you not only have experience, but a highly marketable reference and an "inside track" to a full OSH contract. Its a way "in" to some of the best schools in the IS market.