Car over the summer?

Trojan

Car over the summer?

Post by Trojan »

I am spending my summer back home in the US and don't have a car, but need a car (public transport not an option in this area, borrowing from friends or family for such a long stretch not likely).I am renting one currently and the cost, especially with insurance, is huge. $1500 for a month.

What do those of you in similar situations do for car access? How about short term car insurance?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

That's awfully high. I used the Enterprise Month or More (MOM) program at weekly rates and a free double upgrade. I was getting an intermediate for under $600 a month.
You can call them at 1-800-209-3602, though a lot depends on your location.

I have a coworker who is back in the states and is using their $10/day weekend rate, she gets the car Friday through Monday for under $40 for the weekend.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

This has been my issue every time I've come home for the summer. A couple of months before returning, I start scouting the various rental car companies' rates for the dates I need the car. When I find a good deal I reserve a car, but continue to search for even better deals. The rates can vary wildly from day to day, depending on their stock. Note that agencies in town, rather than at the airport, are almost always cheaper as they don't have to pay the airport access fees.

Most credit cards will give you about two-weeks worth of collision insurance, so you can play the game of swapping cars and using a different card every two weeks. Kind of a pain, but paying for a new car or even a fender is more painful. Check your insurance carrier for what's called non-owner insurance, especially if you want liability. I found a decent rate with Farmers.
overseasvet2

Post by overseasvet2 »

We have rented from a local car dealer who offered this service. New car and much lower rates than car rental companies. It's not common but with a little research you just might find a deal. You might also offer to pay to use a family member's second car.
redster

Post by redster »

Options:

Rent from an overseas rental exchange list your address as your overseas address, and get better prices and insurance added. economycarrentals.com 5 weeks about $1300 dollars for a full size premium from Alamo with collision damage and $1,000,000 liability coverage.

Get a broker and buy a car: mine has a $8000-10000 car waiting which I buy and then sell back to him for a $500 fee. Risk is having to repair or replace. Advantage anyone can drive it because you also have to get insurance. Cost: any repairs, brokers fee, registration and insurance. About $900, if you were to nab a deal you might break closer to even, if you got a lemon resale and repairs might be a pain.