Overdrive Overseas

BookshelfAmy

Overdrive Overseas

Post by BookshelfAmy »

I'm thinking about paying for a non-resident library card from one of the American public libraries with a very large e-book collection. I did a search and found that a few of you have done this as well (PsyGuy, heyteach, eion_padraig?) Have you had any trouble downloading books in different locations?

We'll be in Europe -- great Internet, but lots of copyright restrictions, if I understand correctly.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

If you get a VPN, then downloading shouldn't be a problem. You'd be out the cost of a VPN, but they're fairly affordable. I need one for where I'm at anyway.

You might be right that without a VPN, you'll have trouble.
IAMBOG

Post by IAMBOG »

Google Astrill if you are interested in a VPN. You can switch countries. I can put myself in the UK, Canada, US and several other countries. It works great.
pikefish

Post by pikefish »

Deleted
Last edited by pikefish on Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

@BookshelfAmy

I have heard of nook and kindle issues. I have iProducts and generally dont have issues, though different apple stores have very different content.

You may need a VPN, but usually I dont. Sometimes zipping into an international hotel will negate the need for a VPN. They are however not difficult to use and set up. the biggest issue is speed and relaiability which isnt much an issue for digital print media, video/audio streaming is a whole different issue.

When selecting a library:

1) Make sure they have not just a broad ebook collection but a deep collection, having a single copy of many books, means you wait a long time for anything.

2) Identify what your needs are. For me magazines are more important then books, as my library lets you read any of a 100 magazines for the month of the current issue, without limits on how many borrowers can access it.

3) Flexible access. You want to make sure the materials can be accessed from a computer as well as a portable device, and that the library supports the available formats of your portable device.
Also understand that some libraries block VPN ports.

4) Lending limits. Some libraries have very short lending periods for their digital materials. Also make sure the webiste that you request material though is compatible with your portable device. My iproducts dont support flash, and some library websites are almost all flash.

@pikefish

Nothing I do or model would influence my students views and values about copyright and digital/intellectual property rights. The various US rights are not "international law".