American International School of Bolivia

Pdbutz

American International School of Bolivia

Post by Pdbutz »

does anybody know anything about this school? my son just accepted a job there.
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

It's not a good place for people who need their parents looking after them.
Pdbutz

Post by Pdbutz »

Nice
interteach

Post by interteach »

The response was correct. Let your kid(s) make their own choices now that they're adults.
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

Not sure why people are ripping on a parent for just a simple question. Would you do the same if the question was: "my wife just accepted a job at the school, does anyone know anything about it?"
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

Thank you, Dredge!
JISAlum

Post by JISAlum »

Wow, the first couple of posts encapsulate for me some of the worst of what this site has become at times. If you don't have anything positive to say, why spend the time?

Perhaps this person's child does not have access to a computer. Maybe they are so busy with life, or they don't know about this forum. Or maybe they are just trying to do something nice for their child.

Yes, it's important to allow one's children to grow and make their own decisions. However life is to short, and I hope that when my kids are grown, I can help them when I can.

Finally, down the road the poster might have something to contribute that is of value to one of you. Do you think they'd want to now? Would you say that to their face if at a social function they leaned over and asked if you'd heard of this school because their son/daughter was thinking of going?
eion_padraig

Post by eion_padraig »

@Dredge, if a person's spouse had accepted the job there would be a pretty strong likelihood that the person asking was going to be overseas in the community. Therefore, the person would be asking because it impacts their lifestyle and financial circumstances greatly. Therefore, I see it as a totally different situation.

@JISAlum, that is a lot of straw men you've set up there for reasons why a person would have their parent post instead of posting questions themselves. In just about all situations, they could have advised their son about the forum. You've got me on the one where he doesn't have computer access. If this parent who has now posted a total of 2 posts has good advice for me about international schools, then I'm sure I'll regret it in the future.

I'm going to set up my own hypothetical situation; I'd like to think it's more plausible. More likely is that the parent has chosen to post without their child's knowledge. I'd be mortified if one of my parents did that. Even worse would be if the school got wind of it and decided their new hire couldn't deal with things without a parent being involved.

I've heard from more than one school that mentioned parents contacting schools to help their child find work. It doesn't help the person applying when they find out a parent has inquired about how their child would apply. Colleges and universities already have a great deal of trouble with students whose parents interfere in their day to day life. I'm sure parents think they're being helpful, but often it ends up that these individuals miss out on important life skills.

What is interesting to me is that the OP felt that it was an important detail to include the fact that they were asking on behalf of a son.

I think my posting was an appropriate and useful. I try to be helpful, but I'm also willing to call people out on postings when I see an issue. Again, perhaps it struck me because I've dealt with a lot of parents who don't develop what I think of as healthy boundaries.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

@pdbutz
I have not worked there myself, but if it is the one in La Paz, two very good friends of mine worked there for a while. They thoroughly enjoyed it and described their stay as very collegial, with great students and breathtaking surroundings.
Another friend of mine also worked in La Paz for a long time. He is a hydrogeologist who was working for WaterAid. He also loved the country, especially the sparkling fresh air and the open nature of the people.
It is, however, a very poor country and so your son should be aware of this. Some people find this very hard to cope with. The best thing to do is to get involved and make a positive difference. It will be easy to do this, if my friends are to be believed, as the school plays an active role in the greater community.
Regards
Cheery
Dredge

Post by Dredge »

@eion
Okay, change it to, "my friend accepted a job at this school, does anyone know anything about it?"
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

::Sigh::

Sorry about the distractions. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the forum contributors. Summer sometimes causes us teachers to lose focus on the topic at hand, and as a result we sometimes answer questions of our own creation, instead of the one asked.