packing

escapeartist

packing

Post by escapeartist »

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer. As my departure date approaches, I am feeling pretty overwhelmed with all that I need to do--sell all of my belongings, move out of the house, set aside appropriate quality times with various friends and family members. Whew!

One thing that I need help with is packing. I want to pack a maximum of 6 bags (too much? too little?) plus my bike box. I was advised by my school to bring everything aboard the plane since shipping can be unreliable.

Any genius packing tips? Judging from various posts, I need to take clothes, bedding, toiletries, some kitchen items, a few books. Did anyone have a similar situation and devise a strategy that kept everything within weight limits.

Perhaps my question is too broad or unanswerable; I just need to DO IT. Still, maybe someone out there has two cents to hand out.
higgsboson

Post by higgsboson »

[quote=escapeartist] I want to pack a maximum of 6 bags (too much? too little?) plus my bike box. [/quote]

6 bags and a bike box! And you call yourself an escape ARTIST?

I bring one large 70L backpack and one smaller backpack that I can carryon the plane. Its better to travel light.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Ha! @higgsboson, I see your point.

Not bringing my bicycle is simply out of the question.

Still, I cannot imagine whittling down all of my belongings to one large backpack. I am a minimalist, to be sure, and don't plan on keeping anything in storage when I leave. I hadn't really considered this move as a typical trip, for which I would only carry one carry-on bag.

I would like to have some of my teacher resources with me, plus a couple of kitchen essentials (my knives, my skillet) because the idea of buying things over again when the expense of bringing them along is covered seems silly. Plus clothes, some camping gear, bedding.

I am impressed that you can pack it all in one bag. Kudoes to you. I should try. Six bags seems crazy, but I threw that number out because that is the limit of my baggage allowance. I don't even own six bags...

Anyone else care to share? I am open to all suggestions. Thanks @higgsboson!
intlskipper

Re: packing

Post by intlskipper »

Where are you going? All of your shipping is covered? Is it just you? Do you know how big your housing is?

My husband and I moved all of our things in 3 check-ins 2 carry-ons 1 backpack and 1 large purse.

I think 6 checked bags is a little excessive, if that's for one person...

We brought all our extra toiletries. Didn't bring bedding or kitchen stuff. I brought some basic teaching supplies and some books.

I would just really think about what is essential, and what you could live without or just purchase there. But idk. I guess if you are reimbursed for everything, it doesn't matter. Although you do need to factor in the cost of buying the baggage, as you said you don't have those...

We just weighed our bags on a scale to see their weight. It was only off by a little. Our bags were each about 1.5lbs over the limit, but they took them and didn't charge...but that doesn't mean every airline would do that. We also used space saver bags for our clothes, but that can screw with your weight, so be careful.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Thanks! I agree that six is too many. Yes, it is just me! I just now piled up everything I plan on taking and it does not take up as much space as I thought. I can probably get away with two checked bags and a carry on. Gosh, this is overwhelming!
BookshelfAmy

Post by BookshelfAmy »

Oy, we're in the midst of packing, too. At the moment, Husband and I have a total of four checked bags, two carry-ons, and our backpacks, but I don't know if it's all gonna fit (or at least not under the weight limit)!

I've moved a lot, and it's important to me to bring some mementos, pictures, and books that make a place feel like home. I do think I'll have to do another round of book weeding, though... :(

We are thinking about mailing some of it instead. We're lucky to be moving to a place with a reliable postal service.
sevarem

Post by sevarem »

Six checked bags is... a lot for one person. My little family of three is heading to the airport today with six checked bags and two carry on bags. But that's us.

Anyway, packing tips: roll your clothes. You'd be amazed at how much space you can create by rolling, instead of folding, your clothes. And then you can stuff picture frames and other tchotchkes in all the nooks and crannies. While you're placing your rolled clothes in the bag, line your shoes around the edges of the bag, soles out. I've been packing this way for years and it's always given me a lot of space.

As for toiletries, bring travel size toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, etc. Just enough to get you through the first few days before you can get to a supermarket. If you're female and you use tampons, bring as many as you can cram into a bag.

It would be helpful to know which country you're moving to, or at least, which region of the world. What you should bring changes depending on where you are going. (I'm going to have to buy a whole new wardrobe, for example.)
Teachermom

Post by Teachermom »

I use these trunks as suitcases.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/stor ... 00&N=71235

They make them in the size that just fits the airline limits, and you can put a padlock on them. Then, in my new home, I stack two of them on top of each other and put a table cloth over them, and have a side table--whereas suitcases have to be stored in a closet.

Also, for clothes and bedding, try a space bag:

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?prod ... =space+bag

These are very cool--they vacuum pack your clothes, so all the air is squeezed out. For things like sweaters or blankets, you can pack like twice as much in the same space (but watch out for the weight!).
mysharona

Post by mysharona »

Packing is not a competition. If you have 6 bags then you have six bags of stuff. Our first time over involved 12 70 lb bags and I didn't regret taking any of it.

The vacuum bags work great and you can use them over and over again, just keep track of the little zipper parts. Rubbermaid containers work great, and you can drill a hole in each corner and secure them with zip ties. Just make sure to get the soft plastic kind and not the hard plastic kind which will shatter if dropped on the runway (once one of our's came out of the baggage carousel with our stuff hanging out of it). Storing luggage can be a pain depending on your accommodation so if it can be put to use then all the better.
mamanaia

Post by mamanaia »

Wow. I'm impressed with all of you. I'm taking about 2.5 cubic meters of belongings air freight. That's in addition to my flight luggage limit and my pets for the flight. I don't have a 'home', so my personal belongings get whittled down to that amount and go with me to each destination. I've bought some great mementos in the places I've lived and want them with me.

In regards to how much to bring, it really depends upon where you are going, what is accessible, and what you want to have. Our school has given us a list of things we might want to bring. Best to communicate with teachers from your new school and ask them what they wish they had brought and what you can't get where you're moving.
heyteach

Re: packing

Post by heyteach »

[quote="escapeartist"]

Any genius packing tips? Judging from various posts, I need to take clothes, bedding, toiletries, some kitchen items, a few books. Did anyone have a similar situation and devise a strategy that kept everything within weight limits.
[/quote]

I too, wonder where you're headed. While a taste of home is always welcome, it sounds like you're trying to replicate your home life in a foreign country rather than staying open to a new experience. Forgo the foodstuffs for now and challenge yourself to explore new foods and cooking styles. Once you get the lay of the land and figure out what you miss the most, then you can bring those items back from your summer trip home.

It's quite likely you can find good knives and skillets at your destination. Likewise, bedding, if the apartment doesn't have any (though I admit I take a down pillow as the foam ones hurt my neck). Whatever you buy at your destination, you can sell for half price when you leave.

Unless you're stubbornly wedded to certain products, there is no reason to bring more toiletries than you need for the first month while you sort out where to shop. The one toiletry I am stubbornly wedded to was not available in my last location, so visitors and people going home for a wedding or whatever were instructed to bring me some back; once I was home for the summer, I knew to bring a good stash.

While it's tempting to bring all your teaching books, manuals, decorations, etc., your school will have its own curriculum in place and you won't be using them. I tried that my first go-round, and ended up taking them all back home the first trip back. Scan all your favorite documents and save yourself the hassle of packing/unpacking/packing up again.

In my pre-iPad days, I used to cart around 50 lbs of books, terrified of running out of something good to read. Now knowing I can download books easily, even free from my public library, I just download as I finish each book.

I understand the need for your own bike, and certain camping gear. I need my dive gear even though I could rent easily.

I'm sure we'll all be interested to hear how much you actually checked, and what you decided to leave behind.
escapeartist

Post by escapeartist »

Thank you to everyone who responded!

I listened to Teachermom and purchased three trunks. Way cheaper than luggage and everything fits, is below weight, and there is still room for my favorite quilt once I get a vacuum bag. I rolled my bulkier clothing, turned my shoes face out, and included some personal mementos.

The posts were very motivating and I think I took something away from each one, which is pretty rad for this forum. I appreciated that mysharon reminded everyone that it's not a competition and I loved the super cheap DIY packing advice (which I read too late but my boyfriend will be using).

Feeling excited!
Last edited by escapeartist on Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nikkor

Post by nikkor »

After several international moves, I've come to the conclusion that it's best (for me) to move as much as I possibly can, so that I can make my new location feel like "home" as quickly and completely as possible. For example, my wife and I just shipped 7 cubic meters of stuff, and we will fly with about 10, 50lb. bags. This falls within our shipping budget, so who cares? I hope we happily stay at our new location for many years.