International Schools in Australia

fine dude

International Schools in Australia

Post by fine dude »

Are there any good (as in good students and good pay) international schools in Australia that offer the IB curriculum and also hire foreign teachers on a work visa?
I'm an American-certified math teacher with few years of IB experience.

Thanks in advance.
Cheery Littlebottom

Post by Cheery Littlebottom »

Hi Fine Dude
I looked into this recently. Several bits of good news are that there are an increasing number of international schools in Australia. I know someone (slightly) who has worked there for a long time and who recently returned there and he always gave glowing reports.
However (and I am very interested to hear better information if I am mistaken) when I looked into the whole visa situation the news was less encouraging. It used to be that the individual state education boards would offer sponsorship to teaching candidates. I gather that this has now ceased. Everyone has to go through the Australian visa process first, then apply separately to regional education centres, rather than individual schools. Certainly, this was the situation as described to me in a recent email from the Western Australia education board.
But back to the good news: High school teachers, especially in shortage subjects are still very much on the list of "desirable occupations" so if you are interested I think getting a visa would not be too hard.
Unfortunately for me I am a little older now, so I may not qualify :wink: but I am not telling you how old that is!
Hope this helps.
fine dude

Post by fine dude »

Hi Cheery,

Thank you for your quick response and the much-needed details! I'll research further.
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

There are a number of strong international schools in Australia, they also hire foreign teachers for local municipal and independent schools. Salary can be high, and its not uncommon for an experienced/veteran teacher to be making 6 figures. The visa situation is an issue, but its designed to discourage those who dont have an organization/school behind them. In reality if a school wants you its not too hard for them to get you in the country, and the visa process speeds up considerably.

Australia has a lot of social opportunities and Australian woman tend to be on the better side of average.