Most important questions to ask your buddy teacher

Max

Most important questions to ask your buddy teacher

Post by Max »

As many of us are preparing to move to new schools this summer, what are the essential questions that one should ask an assigned buddy teacher before arriving at the new destination. I know this may vary by location and school, but I'm just wondering if anyone has a good idea of some general questions that should be asked ahead of time. Maybe a top 10 list.
Overhere

Post by Overhere »

What is the one thing that they wished that they had brought and didn't.
vincentchase

Post by vincentchase »

My buddy said 'tampons'. Now that I've stocked up, what's a man to do with them all?
PsyGuy

Post by PsyGuy »

The list of buddy teacher questions:

1) Whats your mobile number and email? If they give you their work email that means they dont want to be your buddy teacher and they will be no real help.

2) Who really runs HR? No one runs HR, HR runs everything else.

3) Who are the secretaries in charge? Whoever they say be nice but avoid, keeping that person happy and appeased will be too much money and work. Go for one or the rest of the more neglected secretaries, combined they will be easier to get on your side.

4) How did you get your nanny, maid, etc? Actually start here, this is probably easy advice.

5) Who do you talk to when technology breaks? If they dont know, its them or nothing gets fixed.

6) Who are the hardest teachers to work with, if they name three or more, your buddy teacher is one of the jerks.

7) Can i trust you? Doesnt matter what they say, you cant. Buddy teachers are always admin cheerleaders.

8) What are the parents like? The only good answer is i dont know. Any parent thats too involved is a potential time bomb to go off, when you have a negative anything to say about their kid.

9) If I need something whos the best administrator to ask? Doesnt matter what they say, this is just a conversation starter.

10) What are the students like. If they rag on the students consider running.
Mathman

Post by Mathman »

It should be standard for the top candidate to be interviewed by the teacher they are replacing.

Then we know
a) school has confidence that they are not crap
b) more details about the actual job you will have

I personally won't bash a school if I was in this position, though I would encourage research on particular topics. Quite frankly, one less competitor if they take a job I don't want.

I had enough talking to cheerleaders, and quite frankly after seeing their IB results, know they are just full of shit.
heyteach

Post by heyteach »

I would avoid asking about personalities and who is hard to deal with, etc. Go in with an open mind without the preconceived notions about your new colleagues and students. If they won't share their personal email with you yet, don't worry about it.

I asked my predecessors and buddies about dress codes, classroom equipment, what I should bring that I couldn't find there, details about housing and desirable locations.
PsyGuy

Comment

Post by PsyGuy »

Dress codes, technology, resources, etc are all things you can ask admin or staff (not faculty). They are also likely to know the most recent information, such as a change to dress code that hasnt been announced yet, or a new purchase of new smart boards for all classrooms. Admins are going to know the most current and recent information. What to bring is more suitable to a forum, where your more likely to find a larger range of people that will mirror your demographic more often. If your a woman going to Asia and your buddy teacher is an A cup, Bras arent an issue for her, she might not even be aware about or consider. Same thing if your a guy and your buddy is a size 8 1/2 shoe. In such cases its better to get as broad amount of input as you can.

When it comes to your fellow teachers, finding out who is what personality is more important. Who can you work with, and who you cant.